Endler female will not drop fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robbie1127

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My endler female has been pregnant for over 2 months and will not drop her fry? ive tried everything I can find on the internet and in other forums. I have a 10gallon tank with 2 males and 4 females.

Hi Robbie, are you sure she is pregnant? Maybe she is still to young to become pregnant. Do you think you could post a few pictures of her so we can take a look?

I will try. I have a lot of plants so that I dont have to separate the fry from the parents so it is hard to get a good picture.

She was alot smaller for a couple weeks and then in a month she looked like she was goin to bust. Her gravid spot is huge and black but at night when the lights is out it turns red. Thats why I she,was pregnant.

Something in the tank must be not correct and she is not letting her fry go. Check water chemistry, temps and water current in the tank. Possibly one of these things can be the issue.

Another possibility is she is not comfortable in the tank with the other fish to give birth. If all the parameters I metioned above are correct, you might want to try to isolate her in her own tank or environment (divide the tank so that she can't see the other fish) and see if that spurs her on.

Hope this helps

I checked it a week or so ago and everything was fine. I had her isolated for a week and she looked to be more stressed than she was in the tank.

Your Female Endler

My endler female has been pregnant for over 2 months and will not drop her fry? ive tried everything I can find on the internet and in other forums. I have a 10gallon tank with 2 males and 4 females.

Hello rob...

A suggestion you may consider: Females will hold fry until they feel conditions are optimum for fry survival. The tank chemistry must be stable. A 10 gallon tank is difficult to keep clean even for an experienced tank keeper. The water properties can "go south" in just a few hours, because there isn't enough water to dilute toxins.

I'd suggest a larger than normal water change and make the new, treated tap water a bit warmer than normal. I've found with my Fancy Guppies that females close to dropping their fry, just need a flush of warm, pure water to make them feel like conditions are right.

Just a thought.

B

I will try that next. Im runnimg out of options and I have been tryin everything that I read.

Hello rob...

A suggestion you may consider: Females will hold fry until they feel conditions are optimum for fry survival. The tank chemistry must be stable. A 10 gallon tank is difficult to keep clean even for an experienced tank keeper. The water properties can "go south" in just a few hours, because there isn't enough water to dilute toxins.

I'd suggest a larger than normal water change and make the new, treated tap water a bit warmer than normal. I've found with my Fancy Guppies that females close to dropping their fry, just need a flush of warm, pure water to make them feel like conditions are right.

Just a thought.

B

+1 to BBradbury Something in that tank is not to her liking. It's up to you to figure out what it is. I've also found that water changes, both routinely and done weekly at least, spur on breeding and birthing conditions.
Keep us posted (y)

+1 to BBradbury Something in that tank is not to her liking. It's up to you to figure out what it is. I've also found that water changes, both routinely and done weekly at least, spur on breeding and birthing conditions.
Keep us posted (y)

All my female guppies did the same thing....I was a wits end too, well yesterday I removed a female betta, leaving only nano fish in... and Viola! I have guppy fry now. Pretty sure the threat of a larger fish in the tank, delayed my females. I full well expect to see more tomorrow morn when I get home as ALL my females seem to be carrying! Like said above a flush of warm water may help, or add in some Live hornwort to the tank....a safe place for fry to hide.

I am goin to try warmer water changes and see what happens. sometimes she hides in my plants and looks like she might be goin to drop some fry but then a few hours later she is swimmimg around again amd mo fry. Ill see what happens with water changes.

And....... as predicted.....3 more fry join the 2 I had already....Tomorrow may bring even more...I did a warm water surge as well and the second female dropped the 3 this late afternoon....

I am goin try that when I get a chance and see if I have the same results.

I'm having this same problem! I've had a gravid looking female since december that hasn't dropped this entire time, and I got 4 more about 6 weeks ago that haven't changed much in the size of their belly since I got them....Don't know whats going on with that, was starting to think that they were all infertile and just had gravid spots stuck in them lol

Glad you started this thread, going to try some of the suggestions ASAP (as soon as i can get some empty tank space)

Congrats. Living proof once again of the old addage " It's not the machine, it's the machanic. ;)"
Give the fish what they want and they will do what comes naturally.
Enjoy the fry :D

I knew they wouldnt drop an fry til the female betta was gone she was just temporarily housed there as well as the two larger tetra that moved earlier this month. I used to help my grandma raise show guppies and kinda figured that would happen. And the shot of warm water I did resulted in so many fry I can't count em all! Now I will be looking for "Housing for the new tenants" or bluntly put... I'm getting a new tank!!!!:D I will go thru what Grandma taught me and try to match up the pairs I want fry from. And thanks Andy, I will enjoy them and cant wait to see what I got! Its like Christmas all over again! thats the funnest part of fry....:brows: waiting to see what they turn into...now if only bettas were so easy....:whistle:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom