Found corydoras sterbai fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MichelleM

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I my two corydoras sterbai have been spawning frequently ever since I inherited them (+ 180l juwel tank and other fishes) a few months ago, but I have never focused on raising the fry. Tonight while cleaning out the tank, I found a baby!
No idea how old it is, but I want to take care of it and meet its needs. So I am just looking for advice on how to raise it :)
I will post a picture in a second, I managed to catch it and put in floating hatchery with a live plant and some crushed algae wafers.

pH is 6.5
Ammonia is 0
It is a well established tank.
Temp is kept a steady 26C

11 cardinal tetras
Silver shark (currently has a dislocated jaw, I posted in another thread earlier)
4 serpae tetras
2 dwarf gouramis
And 2 corydoras sterbai

I feed them 6 days out of 7 on flake food, sinking pellets and bloodworm, and occasional algae wafer.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

The parents are called Bob and Linda so we felt it was appropriate to call the baby Tina.

There is a lot of stuff floating around as I was cleaning out the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20160130_233311.jpg
    IMG_20160130_233311.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 213
So baby Tina seems to be doing well. I've got some hikari first bites and have been siphoning out waste in the hatchery with a pippet. Hoping the current from my filter will be enough to get the main tank water flowing through the gaps in the hatchery. Also have elodea plant in there so she has something to hide in, along with a baby snail to try and help keep things clean.
I've never cared for baby fish before so I really hope she thrives and I can eventually let her back in the main tank without worry of her becoming someone's dinner.

looking good,my bronze cory spawned last november and i tried to breed about 40 eggs but only one made it,and if the growing rate are the same as bronze cory this fry should be over 6 weeks old i think,i'm not an expert but my fry only started to get the colours at 8 weeks old...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How often did you feed your fry and what is best for healthy growth? I gave the hatchery a good scrub and added a little of the gravel from the main tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20160131_223704.jpg
    IMG_20160131_223704.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20160131_223534.jpg
    IMG_20160131_223534.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 75
i use to fed him hikari first bites,until one member sugest me that i could start to feed him crushed flakes few times per day...hope it helps.

So cute!!!! I just finished raising 20 bronze cories,(had 80 eggs, 70 hatch, but a lot didn't make it), to adults, and I fed them high quality sinking spirulina wafers and shrimp pellets. Flakes loose their nutritional value fast as they are quite thin.

I came home from work tonight to find little Tina missing from the hatchery. Inspecting the tank, we found her hiding under the bridge ornament where I'm sure she was hiding since hatching.

The hatchery had a little plastic lid on it, with slats, so I can only assume she took a spectacular leap, as it is about 1 1/2 cm floating above surface.

Now I dont know whether I should just leave her there to do her own thing or if I should catch her and put her back in hatchery. She's still very small and may be classed as food, especially by the Gouramis. Definitely done well on her own for a few weeks though. I can't make sure she's getting food when she's down there though.

What do you guys think?

what fish you got in the main tank?..that would help to give you advice..

11 cardinal tetras
4 serpae tetras
2 dwarf gouramis
And 2 corydoras sterbai

The gouramis and the red tetras can be a bit nippy, and I see them chasing each other occasionally.

I have the same thing with my variatus platy sometimes. You might keep the baby in the breeder to be on the safe side. I have found though that if a particular fry has gotten out of the breeder, they will do i again and I cant keep them contained. Good luck and congrats

Back
Top Bottom