Fry age

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably a little of both
I haven't bred mollies for a while but i think it was around the 3mth mark. I'm breeding guppies and platies at the moment for trading at my lfs. He prefers them at the 4mth mark, but if he's stuck, he takes them at 3mths. When they're at around the 3mth mark, bring a couple down to your lfs(if it's not too far) and ask them...

I haven't bred mollies for a while but i think it was around the 3mth mark. I'm breeding guppies and platies at the moment for trading at my lfs. He prefers them at the 4mth mark, but if he's stuck, he takes them at 3mths. When they're at around the 3mth mark, bring a couple down to your lfs(if it's not too far) and ask them...

Ok sweet thank you they are about a month old right now

Ok sweet thank you they are about a month old right now
The bigger the better..If your lfs is happy with the stock your supplying him, he is more likely to ask for a constant supply. Over here, most will only give you store credit, but i'm breeding some guppies for my lfs at the moment and he's giving me 1euro($1.35) each. He was the one who asked me to supply him with as much a i can, as he was happy with the quality i was trading to him...I have my eye on a 70ltr, which i will eventually pick up for free!!.
PS...The lfs is very small(tiny by US standards), so i'm not setting up a guppy farm!!. He sell around 100 a month....

Another question!!

I'm setting up a 10g to move my fry to to get them out of the breeder box.. Would it be a good idea to put a pleco or something that won't eat them in the tank so that there is some kind of bio load for the BB so it doesn't all die? I wouldn't think the fry would make enough for anything

Another question!!

I'm setting up a 10g to move my fry to to get them out of the breeder box.. Would it be a good idea to put a pleco or something that won't eat them in the tank so that there is some kind of bio load for the BB so it doesn't all die? I wouldn't think the fry would make enough for anything

No I wouldn't add a pleco, as there would be no algae for him to eat in a brand new tank. I have baby albino Cory's in my fry tank to clean up all the extra food and if you want, you could add a few mystery snails. I believe they ate harmless to fry. They also breed rapidly so maybe you could sell those to your LFS to!

They *are harmless to fry lol. Not ate! Stupid auto correct.

Another question!!

You could add a pleco, just make sure it's a bristlenose or similar. The common pleco would not be suited for that size tank, it gets way too big. What about adding some Red Cherry Shrimp and/or some Nerite snails. Both of those would supply enough bb. They also have the benefit of keeping the tank spotless..
You only need enough bb to maintain what is in the tank. If there is no 'food'(bio-load) for them they will die off. For example once fully cycled, if you had 5 guppies, there would be enough bb to cover the bio-load for the 5 guppies. If you removed 3 guppies then the bb would die off and only enough would survive to cover the 2 guppies left....
Also as your fry grow, the bb grows as well because there's more bio-load...
PS..The Red Cherries would be fine as long as your fry don't get much bigger than a guppy before you trade them...Snails, no problem.

Good point Cory's and snails would be way better than a pleco.. And I know a common pleco has no place in a 10g that's how I got this tank... Rescued a 9" common pleco and a gourmani that was about 4-5" poor guys had to have been miserable

Back
Top Bottom