Ghost Shrimp w/eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmg213

Aquarium Advice Regular
I noticed that one of my ghost shrimp is carrying eggs, so Ive been doing some reading on how to deal with that, but the one thing I have not been able to find is how long the eggs are carried before I have a bunch of baby shrimp on my hands.

Anyone info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ghost shrimp require special conditions to hatch babies so in your tank you won't see any babies at all.

Yes, guess I should clarify some...everything I read said I should move the ghost shrimp into a different tank with plenty of plants/hiding places...but do you do the move as soon as you see the eggs? its been about 2 days now that Ive noticed the eggs...is it too late or is it ok as long as I still see the eggs?

As long as you see the eggs then you can go ahead and move her. I'd get a culture of green water going so the baby shrimp can have something to eat, as it is my understanding that this is the biggest hurdle in raising them. Some plants and cover will be necessary for the babies, too, as you say, and remove the female as soon as the eggs are hatched.

I also understand that it is wise to put them in a tank that has all the sides covered, since they will naturally seek the light, and if the light is coming in from the sides they bump constantly into the glass and injure/stress themselves. Kindof like the concept of hatching BBS.

Let us know how you do!

Back
Top Bottom