Giant Danios Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaquero

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok heres my situation and questions. 1 1/2 weeks ago I purchased 6 giant Danios to cycle a new 10 gallon tank. I left them in it until Wednesday of last week and put the into my 55 Gallon tank, thinking that it was time to put them in the 55. At the same time I had purchased some plants from online and had them in there as quarantined plants as well. I also moved them into the tank at the same time the Danios went in (55) tank. Today I was going to do a water change in my 55, and happened to look at the top of the 10 gallon tank and saw a oily type looking film on the water. I took off the lid and kinda swirled a finger in it to break up the surface and let it go into the water. To my surprise I have well over 300 fry swimming around. I read Danios hatch in about 36 hours, I never really looked into the tank after removing the adults. I have read many articles on breeding them, and I have done none of this at all. How can they spawn like this. I quickly put in some crushed flakes for them to eat since I have no idea when they hatched. Is this normal???? What should I feed them, I would like them to survive if possible. I did put a pantyhose over the filter opening (thanks Zach) so as not to suck any of the fry into it(some may have already perished this way). I think this is so cool but don't know a thing about raising fry. Please any advice to how to care for/raise these would be very helpful. I don't expect them all to survive, but some would be cool.

vaquero said:
Ok heres my situation and questions. 1 1/2 weeks ago I purchased 6 giant Danios to cycle a new 10 gallon tank. I left them in it until Wednesday of last week and put the into my 55 Gallon tank, thinking that it was time to put them in the 55. At the same time I had purchased some plants from online and had them in there as quarantined plants as well. I also moved them into the tank at the same time the Danios went in (55) tank. Today I was going to do a water change in my 55, and happened to look at the top of the 10 gallon tank and saw a oily type looking film on the water. I took off the lid and kinda swirled a finger in it to break up the surface and let it go into the water. To my surprise I have well over 300 fry swimming around. I read Danios hatch in about 36 hours, I never really looked into the tank after removing the adults. I have read many articles on breeding them, and I have done none of this at all. How can they spawn like this. I quickly put in some crushed flakes for them to eat since I have no idea when they hatched. Is this normal???? What should I feed them, I would like them to survive if possible. I did put a pantyhose over the filter opening (thanks Zach) so as not to suck any of the fry into it(some may have already perished this way). I think this is so cool but don't know a thing about raising fry. Please any advice to how to care for/raise these would be very helpful. I don't expect them all to survive, but some would be cool.

Your welcome lol ill be following so i can learn too maybe buy a few when time comes lol

Back
Top Bottom