Gouramis Spawning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Garra-Rufa-Fish-Spa-Therapy-Doctor-Fish.jpg

This is a doctor fish.

Ooooooh so it really is that type, interesting! Although really no information can be found as they are overtaken with the spa websites :banghead:

And lastly, the (male?) honey:

img_1627404_0_fc6e3c4ad239fe0b08797ac969683625.jpg

Sorry my pictures are really poopy but you get the basic shapes of the fins.

Yes that is a male. So you have 2 females & 1 male.

Haha, and a doctor fish. I have no idea what gender it is but that fish doesn't matter. :)

Anyways so if I have 2 females with 1 male, why did the male "dance" with the female, and now is chasing her away? They circled gracefully and all of a sudden the chasing started.

P.S. This all happened after my male dwarf gourami died. I removed him and all of a sudden this all happened.

Last edited:
Hmm doesnt look much like a honey, its pretty red

They are Sunset "Honey" Gouramis. Usually true Honeys Colisa chuna are very bland and have no color, so no one would really buy them.

The sunsets are most likely a color variation of the previous.

picture_117 said:
They are Sunset "Honey" Gouramis. Usually true Honeys Colisa chuna are very bland and have no color, so no one would really buy them.

The sunsets are most likely a color variation of the previous.

I was thinking they were sunsets at first, but then was second guessing myself bec they didnt have the pattern

Haha, and a doctor fish. I have no idea what gender it is but that fish doesn't matter. :)

Anyways so if I have 2 females with 1 male, why did the male "dance" with the female, and now is chasing her away? They circled gracefully and all of a sudden the chasing started.

P.S. This all happened after my male dwarf gourami died. I removed him and all of a sudden this all happened.

Though Honeys are not aggressive during spawning they are still in essence a territorial fish.

What might be happening is that the female is not responding to the male, what you saw as the "dancing" of the male with the female. So the male is trying to get her to respond.

Also Honeys like planted areas so maybe adding in some plants would help. It could be they just need "space".

Oh I'm so relieved. I was very worried. Thank you helping me out guys. I'll continue to monitor their behaviour and I'll keep the water a lower level just in case it resembles breeding season. Is there anything else that might help the situation and promote spawning? What about floating a cup in the water for a bubble nest home?

Hmm, Temperatures of about 82 help, they build nests from plant material.
I don't know if your tank can support live plants though.

Water sprite when floated makes a great nest area: (that is of a bettas nest)
image006.jpg

Dwarf Water lettuce is also great, the roots that hang down provide great plant material.
5446761767_30ccb18010.jpg

Bubble nests will be built anywhere, like I stated mine build it in a bare tank with no female and only a piece of driftwood lol.

Oh perfect I have water sprite! He might use that. Thanks so much I really appreciate all your help!

Plus the doctor fish DOES like sucking on my finger. Maybe it can expholiate my finger lol!

Back
Top Bottom