Green Cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mazie51109

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, yesterday I purchased four green cories for my community tank. I noticed that one had what looked almost like pollen on a bumblebee's legs on her pelvic fins. Upon closer examination and some research, I discovered that they were eggs. Can I get some advice on how to successfully breed and raise green cories?:confused:

Breeding Corydoras

So, yesterday I purchased four green cories for my community tank. I noticed that one had what looked almost like pollen on a bumblebee's legs on her pelvic fins. Upon closer examination and some research, I discovered that they were eggs. Can I get some advice on how to successfully breed and raise green cories?:confused:

Hello mazie...

Eggs of any kind in a "Community Tank", is a recipe for disaster. Eggs are a delicacy. I've had Corydoras, including Emeralds, in my Guppy tanks for several years and have had eggs laid on a number of occasions, but never seem to get to them before they're eaten. Any fish with a mouth large enough, will make them lunch.

However, you can retrieve them by using a credit card and scrape them off the leaves, decoration, etc and and put them in a small tank with the same water chemistry as the main tank. Ideally, you want a sandy substrate and an pH close to neutral (7). Provided the eggs are fertile, they'll hatch in 3-5 days.

Some floating plants like Waterweed (Anacharis) and Pennywort are excellent additions to your nursery tank and provide good water circulation, possibly with an airstone of some kind or small, HOB power filter.

Good luck.

B

I was looking at the cory the other day and she still has the "eggs"... is this normal? are they even eggs?

Corydoras Eggs

I was looking at the cory the other day and she still has the "eggs"... is this normal? are they even eggs?

Hello maz...

The eggs are typically laid on broad leafed aquatic plants or on the sides of the tank. The female lays them and the male fertilizes them. The eggs start out white, then turn an amber "tan" color when fertilized. The eggs hatch in a 3 days or so.

B

Great news! I came home from school today to find cory eggs scattered all over the glass and plants in the tank. I removed all fish from the tank and I will leave the cories in for a few more hours to finish spawning. I have done nothing to trigger the spawn, so I am a bit confused as to why it occured... I'm not disappointed that it happened though! This will be my first time raising egg-hatched fry, as I've only had live births in my tanks. Any advice from experienced green cory breeders?

Back
Top Bottom