Guppies and breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin8

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had my guppies in my 29 gallon for a couple months with my gouramis tiger barbs and 2 silver dollars. They are get along very well. Actually better than I thought. The person who gave me my guppies told he they breed every month or so. I have kept an eye on my female and just nothing. Why isn't she breeding with the others?

You should have two females to every male. The amount of stress that the males would put on her if she was prego would kill her

from personal experience be ready for a lot of frys when she does get pregnant, last time my female gave birth, she had about 50 frys over a week span. only lost 3. needless to say i gave a lot of them away. they can give birth to 10-100 frys and hold male sperm for like 6 months or something like that

from personal experience be ready for a lot of frys when she does get pregnant, last time my female gave birth, she had about 50 frys over a week span. only lost 3. needless to say i gave a lot of them away. they can give birth to 10-100 frys and hold male sperm for like 6 months or something like that
I doubt too many fry will survive with the other tank mates in there...

Your Guppies

I have had my guppies in my 29 gallon for a couple months with my gouramis tiger barbs and 2 silver dollars. They are get along very well. Actually better than I thought. The person who gave me my guppies told he they breed every month or so. I have kept an eye on my female and just nothing. Why isn't she breeding with the others?

Hello Aus...

Your Guppy's chances of breeding successfully aren't good with aggressive fish like Barbs in the tank. Barbs are "fin nippers" and will make a target of the male Guppy's tale. Any fish, with a large mouth will easily eat any Guppy fry that might be born. Guppies are best kept in "species" tanks or with very peaceful fish like Corydoras "the little cats".

I've kept Fancy Guppies in large, planted tanks for a few years and the adult fish may survive with larger, more aggressive fish, but they thrive in large, planted tanks and in large numbers of their own kind.

Just my experience with these fish. You're the tank keeper.

B

Wow that's alot! My cousin ( who I got the guppies from) has had success breeding and says they are fun to raise and watch grow

You have too many males you need more females than males.. should be 2 females to every male at least. So ultimately you should have more females than males...

You only really have room for a few depending on how many gouramis and tiger barbs you have... you should try taking some of your males to trade for females adding more fish will overstock your tank and care will become a job more than a hobby

You only really have room for a few depending on how many gouramis and tiger barbs you have... you should try taking some of your males to trade for females adding more fish will overstock your tank and care will become a job more than a hobby
I was just about to suggest that!!!

She will hold her spawn til conditions are favorable. If there are other species in the tank, she will continue to hold them. Sometime they hold them until the water is right. My two females have dropped fry continuously since I have owned them. The only tank mates they have are some neons and glo-light tetras and other guppies. Your moving them may cause her to box right up and within weeks you will see fry!

Back
Top Bottom