Guppy n00b

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tylo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a pair of “Blue Moscow” guppies a month or so ago, from an online vendor, just for fun, and because despite 35 years in this hobby, I’ve never even tried to keep/breed livebearers.

So a couple of weeks back, I noticed the female was definitely pregnant (huge belly + obvious gravid spot). I don’t have time to keep a close watch on all my tanks...she may well have been pregnant when I got them.

Four days ago, I spotted babies in the tank. Three of them. This morning, there are still three and only three. Nothing seems to be bothering the fry, and they have hiding spots, but aren’t hiding. Pretty sure these are the same three I originally spotted. Since seeing the fry, I have looked closely at the tank multiple times daily, and there have always been three. The female is still bulging.

Is it normal for them to spit out a few, and then no more for several days?

Anyone know about guppies?

Two days later. Still only three babies and one huge mom. :(

Females will hold sperm and eggs will continue to be fertilized and babies will continue to come. It's totally normal and she will likely remain pregnant all of the time

Back
Top Bottom