How do you know when guppies will drop their fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a pregnant guppy and I want to know how to tell when she will have her babies. Thanks for the help.

Oops, I made a typo in the title... could a mod please fix that? Thanks...

Ok, I will attempt to get a good pic. If I can't I may take a video and post it on youtube, then post a link...

Ok, I can't get a good pic of her. She is too active. Lol. I will record a video, and it will take a while to upload, but ill post a link when its done

Ok here's a link to the video:
She is the one with the plain yellow tail. (Not black and yellow or red)

Oscarr19 said:
WOW :lol: she should drop any day now. If you have a breeding trap i suggest putting her in there now.

I don't have one. I don't think any lfs (plural) near me sell them, so I would have to order one online, and it would take a few days to arrive, so it would probably not be here in time.

Your only other chance to save the fry is to watch carefully and if you have another tank for the fry ready net them and place them there once they are born.

Oscarr19 said:
Your only other chance to save the fry is to watch carefully and if you have another tank for the fry ready net them and place them there once they are born.

I was planning on moving the adult females to my ten gallon community when the fry are born, and keeping the fry in the five gallon. I have some male guppies in my ten gallon... my ten gallon isn't fully stocked currently... so there is room. However, if all else fails, I can use one of my big buckets and airstones as a back up plan.

I just got done prepping the filter for fry. I put some sponge on the intake... here is what I mean.

maxwellag said:
I don't have one. I don't think any lfs (plural) near me sell them, so I would have to order one online, and it would take a few days to arrive, so it would probably not be here in time.

If you have a petco or petsmart, they sell a couple different varietys there. At least mine do

tarpon said:
If you have a petco or petsmart, they sell a couple different varietys there. At least mine do

But they have the little net that keeps the mother and babies away from all other fish in the tank. I want one that is like a whole seperate fish tank, I think its called "Penn plax aqua nursery"... anyway, it holds the mother, and when she has her babies, the babies swim through a small crack that only the babies can fit through, then they swim over and they are in their own separate little tank. That way it wouldn't matter to me when she has her babies, as long as they are safe.

You can put some decoration at the bottom of the box. Like guppy grass or semi large rocks or marbles. For them to hide in until you notice and get her out

Back
Top Bottom