How do you sex a freahwater angel fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eagleeye3646

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 35 gallon tank and my angel fish is now alone because his/her buddy died. i was curious on how do i tell if this one is a male or female and what are the requirement to have little ones, i know they lay eggs but where and how?

I don't know angels first hand, but i would suggest buying 2 to 3 more of a likewise size. How big is your current fish? Also, This may require a tank upgrade

I wouldn't recommend 4 angels in a 35 gallon.. it is too much, IMO. Especially when they start spawning. A pair would be fine for breeding purposes.

The most effective way to sex FW angelfish is their tubes. Ones that extend and come to point are males. Ones that extend and are more blunt/rounded are females. Some people say you can tell by width and crown, etc but aren't foolproof.

I've had a single female koi angel. She has laid eggs hundreds of times over the past few years. She has never seen another male but every water change or so she'll cover the intake tube of my filter with eggs. She's laid eggs on intakes, sword leaves, slate, heater and probably more places that I didn't even find.

Edit: here's a good comparison picture I found on Google Images:
img_2375208_0_addb8a108fcb305784b96a4ac2ee875e.jpg

under breeding, there is a thread called wigglers at last. i suggest reading a lot of the post there. we are all big fans of angels and help each other a lot

ok, thank you both, i dont want to bread right now i just wanted to know for future reference.
i looked at that thread wigglers at last as well and learned some things, thanks to both!

Back
Top Bottom