How to tell if Guppy are gona spawn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I already know to check by their gravid spot. Their gravid spot is very dark colored most of the time, but it clears every once in a while. Yesterday, I found out my guppy gave birth to some baby guppies during the morning or mid night. All but 1 baby guppy was eaten. I found it swimming in the bottom corner of the tank. I tried to catch it with a net since my frog might try to eat it. Well I chased the fry around and it decided to go in front of the frog. The frog quickly grabbed the guppy and swallowed it. It was the first time my fish had ever had babies too........ Oh well.

There will be plenty of chances to get a batch of fry. I don't know if it is the same for guppys as it is for platys, but I can usually tell when one of my platys is ready to give birth by a few signs. First is the fact that they look as if they are going to explode as far as how fat they get, it is just unreal how round they get. Second, the female will hang out in one of the bottom corners like right over the gravel. The female will just sit there not moving for a while. I've heard from some people that females will "square off" the back side of their bellies when they are about ready to give birth also.
As other livebearers, guppys can store sperm for multiple pregnancies, so I can say that you can expect your guppy to be ready to drop fry in about another 4 weeks.

I've only been keeping guppies since October, but since then I've seen my 3 girls pregnant almost continuously! I guess as long as there's a male and a female together, you're in for fry. I can tell when my guppies are about ready to spawn when they hover in one of the back corners of the tank. Like platies, they get absolutely huge - you'd think there was something seriously wrong with them. Anyway, the big fat guppies hover at the surface, and make sort of an s-shape to squeeze the babies out. It's really neat to watch.

I feed my guppies blood worms... so they are always very big. They grow fast. They use to be around 1/2 of an inch. Now they are like 1 inch and 1/4.

Back
Top Bottom