I have BABIES, angelfish(:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobbiest

Aquarium Advice Activist
:) Ok guys I have worked very hard to finally see my little ones and they are adorable. The parent angelfish are both black marbled and the fry ended up black with silver stripes, approx. 35 of them survived and they are 6 weeks old from free swimming.
The dilemma I am having is that in the beginning I moved my breeding pair out of my 65 gal and put into a twenty Gal. to have fry now the fry are six weeks old in a twenty gal with two adults and its starting to look crowded. The parents are still protecting the fry and the fry don't seem to be chasing parents but one of the adults are starting to twitch, is this a sign of stress?
When I first moved adults out of big tank it was because I have another adult male in the tank that they were picking on really bad and I thought problem solved if I remove the pair trying to lay eggs to a smaller tank, both tanks would be happy. Then there were babies, now I don't know if I should try to put parents back into the large tank and let little ones grow out a bit more in twenty gal. or how big do fry have to be before the adult male in larger tank won't eat them?
I just need a little advice and if anyone lives near Freeburg IL. I have adorable babies who desperately need homes.

Thanks in advance for help:thanks:

A large Angel shouldn't bother too much with the smaller Angels as long as the babies are too big to eat and the tank they are in can support all those fish. 6 weeks old seems a bit too young IMO to be mixing them however. I would be giving the fry another 4-6 weeks of growing before exposing them to other fish.
As for the parents and fry all being in a 20 gal, I would separate them. Keep the pair in their own tank as once you start moving them around they will most likely go off their breeding cycle however, when they do go back on and if you had put them back into your main tank, they will once again beat up on the other Angel and whatever other fish you have in there when want to spawn.
Breeding and raising Angelfish requires multiple tanks. There's just no way around that unless you have extremely large tanks where the fry can get away from the parents to grow. A good pair of Angels are worse than rabbits when it comes to breeding. They will keep making babies unless you separate the pair.

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom