Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

I still need nelp!

I have new baby jack Dempsey and I want as many as possible to live! They are only 2 days old . I immediately took the other jd's out.. Only the parents and fry left in a 55 gal tank. My question is how do I know the right time to take the parents out, I know eventually they will eat them. Also I know the parents feed the babies. It should I feed the parents something special or more often? They eat 3 times a day now, and my last question is filtration. I turned my pump off. How do I stop Alvie from growing in the tank? I put a stocking over the filter bit I am sure it will still suck this babies into it so I can't turn it on. What can I do? Please help!

Old 03-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can get a rubbermaid plastic container , rig up a sponge filter with air pump, put some type of cycled material from other tank in there or just a air pump and daily water change. Take the fry out and put them in there. You can feed fish food ground up to a powder or buy the fry food.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have to research the sponge filter and air pump. Are they safe for the little fry? I am thinking I will move the parents and leave the babies where they are, (for now)... But I will try the sponge filter for the tank I have, and move this pump with the new tank I guess. Lol did that make sense? Thanks for your help.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

A sponge filter is the safest IMO just be sure to have some sort of cycled material on hand to help seed it
Old 03-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candi1990
I have new baby jack Dempsey and I want as many as possible to live! They are only 2 days old . I immediately took the other jd's out.. Only the parents and fry left in a 55 gal tank. My question is how do I know the right time to take the parents out, I know eventually they will eat them. Also I know the parents feed the babies. It should I feed the parents something special or more often? They eat 3 times a day now, and my last question is filtration. I turned my pump off. How do I stop Alvie from growing in the tank? I put a stocking over the filter bit I am sure it will still suck this babies into it so I can't turn it on. What can I do? Please help!
Buy some air powered sponge filters for the fry that's what I use in my fry tanks. They run off an air pump and Offer good biological filtration, seed it first to avoid ammonia poisoning. Alternately wrap or cut a new car sponge around the intake of your filter. It will prevent them getting sucked up.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com