Inter breeding mollys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

griff5499

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 2 male dalmation molly's. They impregnated my female gold/black molly and also mated with my female black molly. Now the dalmations are getting the offspring pregnant! Are there any problems associated with this in-breeding? I now have 3 generations of dalmation/gold and black molly's!

They're all differently bred lines of the same species, so there's no real issue unless you don't like the results. In that case get yourself a suitable catfish to eat the culls.

It's fine if the different color forms interbreed as they are all the same fish but once the fathers are mating with the third generation of their children problems could arise. It may be befeficial to change the males with different ones to get new blood but once you start seeing deformities stop saving the fry and let nature run it's course with the deformed fry.

Guppies and mollies, all poecillia genus can inbreed a lot before problems arise, but it's still healthy to get new fish to add new genes

Back
Top Bottom