Is my danio pregnant/fat/bloated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corrado33

Aquarium Advice Freak
Watchin my tank today, I noticed a overly chubby danio. I wanted to know if I should be expecting soon. It's swimming around fine... How do you sex a zebra danio? Is it by the shape of the anal fin? (Apparently not by the Aquarium Atlas, it says... "Sexually Mature females are larger with more subdued colors. On the male, one can find a golden-yellow background with fine red lines between wider blue longitudinal lines. On female, the background is silvery white.", that doesn't help me at all lol)

Anyway, here's the pic.. Yeah yeah, horrible pic, it's hard enough getting a pic of ANY of these fish, let alone a specific one, with my cameraphone...

0709001409.jpg

males get yellower when they're chasing other males around, trying to be dominant. The 'fat' one in the pic is definitely female, but probably not pregnant... the weight would be more near the back end.

males get yellower when they're chasing other males around, trying to be dominant. The 'fat' one in the pic is definitely female, but probably not pregnant... the weight would be more near the back end.

Hey thanks! I was WONDERING why they were turning so YELLOW! You can see my big one in the back of the pic. I'm guessing he's my dominant male. I thought they were turning yellow cause of the driftwood tannin's in the water lol. So do you think I'll have guppy babies at any time? I'm very surprised they don't sell danios sexed. I did read that danios mate with only one other fish. They're monogamists.... is that a word?

er, monogamous... they might be. When I lost a couple of females early, the egg dropping stopped, even though other females were in the tank.

And keep in mind, these are not guppies, which are livebearers; danios are egg scatterers; so look at the top of the substrate (sand/gravel) for tiny, clear eggs. If you see them, there should be some very small, splinter-like fry darting around after that.

Back
Top Bottom