Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

is this a male or female boesemani rainbow

want a mating pair but only have1 so just want to make sure this male before i get female
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130908_202657.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	197129  

Old 09-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You might want to do more research on these fish first. One pair alone is probably not going to give you what you want. They need some of their own species around to swim with and males show their best colours and behaviours with at least one other male to show off to. Once in breeding condition, you take the best looking male and fullest female and put them together in a fair size tank to spawn. Fry are not the easiest to raise either.

Females are smaller and do not have the colour that males develop. Mature males have the beautiful colour these fish are known for and are larger, deeper through the body. If the fish in the pic is full grown, it's likely female.

One good source of info is here. Melanotaenia boesemani (Boeseman's rainbowfish) — Seriously Fish

Old 09-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #3

have to start somewhere going to move it into bigger tank and start getting more i think its young only a couple of inches if even that just order another small female cause was told it was male and taught from my research it was male but just trying to double check its only a small fish but lovely coulor 2 tone purply at front yellow/green at back half with black broken fussy stripe down side all the 1s i.have seen are usually orange and sort of silver
Old 09-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #4

i also read if the dorsal fin over laps the next fin its a boy an you verify that ?
Old 09-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, sorry, I can't. I have a friend who keeps these and breeds them successfully, but I don't have any. I know the full grown males have this gorgeous coloiur, and he has a number of them, and has been quite successful. Very picky, careful type of guy, takes a lot of time and effort with his tanks, I think he has about twenty of them running now.

If you got it from a breeder, chances are he got the sex right.. but immature fish are often harder to sex in general. Best of luck.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfur View Post
No, sorry, I can't. I have a friend who keeps these and breeds them successfully, but I don't have any. I know the full grown males have this gorgeous coloiur, and he has a number of them, and has been quite successful. Very picky, careful type of guy, takes a lot of time and effort with his tanks, I think he has about twenty of them running now.

If you got it from a breeder, chances are he got the sex right.. but immature fish are often harder to sex in general. Best of luck.
got from my lfs but manager was on holiday and guy that stood in is gone so because its very colourful and the fins over lap i am going with he is a male getting bigger tank maybe 200litres and going to use my 55 litre for breeding thanks for posting
Old 09-09-2013, 03:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looks female to me

That's what my male looks like
Old 09-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most LFS only order males in because the average person will buy all the males and leave the less colorful females behind.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com