male or female bristlenose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0shayne0

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone got any ideas?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111001_200426.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111001_200426.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 104
fadetoblack06 said:
Females have the bristles by their cheeks only not on the face.

Not true Because I have bred mine and she has small ones around the front as well but not on the head like my male

As I thaught. Got any tips on breeding as I got a male and female

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111001_232841.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111001_232841.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 78
  • ForumRunner_20111001_232858.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111001_232858.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 90
0shayne0 said:
As I thaught. Got any tips on breeding as I got a male and female

Lots of caves ph of 6 best to put them in a tank to themselves and feed them well to condition them

What size tank? What tempature? Also isthere anything to speed up the breeding, I heard 50% water changes does the trick but not sure if thats a myth. Thanks

0shayne0 said:
What size tank? What tempature? Also isthere anything to speed up the breeding, I heard 50% water changes does the trick but not sure if thats a myth. Thanks

Just normal community temp will do fine that's what I do.

I do 35-45% water change

a 10 gal tank will be ok for them to spawn In but u will need to move them when the fry get bigger

I use a 6.1 uk gal tank and then move them and they do brilliantly

They also need good oxygen in the water but they can get it there self by going to the surface

Will they breed in a tank with other fish? Angels, clown loachs, red tail shark, horseman corys, horsehead loachs, xray tetras, 2 common plecs. Or you think it be best to setup another tank?

0shayne0 said:
Will they breed in a tank with other fish? Angels, clown loachs, red tail shark, horseman corys, horsehead loachs, xray tetras, 2 common plecs. Or you think it be best to setup another tank?

They would breed but your chance of fry survival is low. I would set up another tank with good caves and boxwood, coconut caves seem to be my BN's favourite but put other types of caves in as well.

I have bred Bn plecos before as the success I have had has been good. I have always had 2 males and 1 female in the tank. The BN males need to state there dominance and win over the female. This has always worked for me. A few good small caves just high enough that they can get into them. They need to feel secure when breeding. Nothing better then seeing 100 small plecos swimming around. Good Luck

tmfish said:
I have bred Bn plecos before as the success I have had has been good. I have always had 2 males and 1 female in the tank. The BN males need to state there dominance and win over the female. This has always worked for me. A few good small caves just high enough that they can get into them. They need to feel secure when breeding. Nothing better then seeing 100 small plecos swimming around. Good Luck

Cant wait for that many plecos

Back
Top Bottom