Mollie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope, size and color don't matter. A baloon molly could breed with a sailfin molly, they are all the same species.

Cheers, suppose it was inevitable with a 4 female to 1 male ratio. I don't want to sound harsh but I think I'm just gonna leave them to it, not sure I need a tank full of mollies. If some survive then so be it.......... it that wrong if me?

Cheers, suppose it was inevitable with a 4 female to 1 male ratio. I don't want to sound harsh but I think I'm just gonna leave them to it, not sure I need a tank full of mollies. If some survive then so be it.......... it that wrong if me?
no i dont think its to wrong. but you should think about the pople you live by that may want a fish befor you let them get too far. but its still all up to the owner. but it is a good idea to think about how much space youd be intersted in giving to your mollies and all

Well if you were going to cull the fry because you didn't want them you'd be getting a piece of my mind lol, I don't think its wrong not to save the fry its just something I would do. I have read so much about raising fry and the first month is the hardest to keep them alive, beleive me I read every single book and article there is out there about guppy breeding/fry and they make it sound so easy, but I lost all of mine after 3 days. I couldn't bare to let my fish eat my fry but thats me, not you. Its completely up to you but remember, live-bearers such as Guppies and Mollies store sperm for up to 6 pregnancies. Since male mollies aren't like guppies where as the male is much prettier then the females I suggest getting rid of either the male or all the females and keeping only one gender. Your LFS may take your fry, If you take them there while they are still colorless they will be used as feeder fry, if you wait until they are about a half inch to an inch they will be sold as mollies and you may even get a store credit.

Well I think one gave birth last night coz she's skinny again now. I've seen no sign of the fry so I'm assuming they were eaten?? It's not through cruelty I leave them I just prefer to let things work out naturally, um sure in the wild its the same story.

Not saying its cruelty just saying I'm a softy and can't leave them in the tank lol XD

Well if you were going to cull the fry because you didn't want them you'd be getting a piece of my mind lol, I don't think its wrong not to save the fry its just something I would do. I have read so much about raising fry and the first month is the hardest to keep them alive, beleive me I read every single book and article there is out there about guppy breeding/fry and they make it sound so easy, but I lost all of mine after 3 days. I couldn't bare to let my fish eat my fry but thats me, not you. Its completely up to you but remember, live-bearers such as Guppies and Mollies store sperm for up to 6 pregnancies. Since male mollies aren't like guppies where as the male is much prettier then the females I suggest getting rid of either the male or all the females and keeping only one gender. Your LFS may take your fry, If you take them there while they are still colorless they will be used as feeder fry, if you wait until they are about a half inch to an inch they will be sold as mollies and you may even get a store credit.
well then i guess you would be a good person to look to for answers in that regard. lol. are guppies and mollies the only things youve breed? and i like how my mollies are right now. i dont have anywhere to put possible fry but i dont think my mollie is pregnant and if she is then not very. so i dont think that that will be needed right away. but i would like to see if she were already breed or had been in a tank where fishys were freely breeding. that seems weird for a store but there WERE males with the females so i dont know.

Fish wise I have bred mollies and guppies, and my brother and I bred Danios and Neon tetras a while ago. I bought 2 female guppies, one pregnant and one virgin.not sure how I did as they were in a 50 gal tank that had been full of males and females. You have a very slim chance of getting a non pregnant female, guess we are just good at finding rare fish lol

Fish wise I have bred mollies and guppies, and my brother and I bred Danios and Neon tetras a while ago. I bought 2 female guppies, one pregnant and one virgin.not sure how I did as they were in a 50 gal tank that had been full of males and females. You have a very slim chance of getting a non pregnant female, guess we are just good at finding rare fish lol
what is that about!!!!! :{ T_T i get no female pregnants and ur saying its lucky not to get one? why oh why do those fish know id have no place to put them and manage never to catch my attention or get in the net?:confused::confused::confused::puppydogeyes::puppydogeyes:

I'm not saying your lucky I'm saying its rare. You shouldn't try and breed them if you don't have space for them.

If you want to breed them you should get them a 10 gallon brackish tank to breed in.

brackish sounds right to me, from what ive read. But im not a breeder, I just enjoy the odd batch of fry swimming around :)

brackish sounds right to me, from what ive read. But im not a breeder, I just enjoy the odd batch of fry swimming around :)
well im just doubtfull because for fish to grow and be healthy they need clean watter. and my fish are allready pregnat its just for the fry when they are hatched. and when should i start getting my tank something for the fry and female and male lives to be ok.. or whatever. i mean like a breeding trap or something..... and when should i if ever remove the male.. i kinda dont wanna put him back in with the goldfish although im sure the glasscatfish would be happy if they were the only ones in the tank and a bunch of them and no goldfish or mollies but the goldfish are permanant and realy fat too i might add. mabey i SHOULD get my grandma into getting a pond out in the garden... and then bring in the fish befor it gets cold. like mabey a week after school starts in september.. wait omg how did i get so far off the topic.
anyway my female is nice and fat now lol and the male is allways flanking her. they both enjoy eating leaves off the plants in there and love it when i feed them. although thats no suprise i think that their paradise would be an all you can eat buffe. lol for fishy. not serving fish. that would just be wrong.:p

Brackish isn't dirt water. Mollies are brackish fish, brackish water is where sea water meets fresh. It adds a little salinity to the mollies water.

And FYI its considered rude to steal someones thread, so next time if you know how you should try and start a new thread ;)

Brackish isn't dirt water. Mollies are brackish fish, brackish water is where sea water meets fresh. It adds a little salinity to the mollies water.

And FYI its considered rude to steal someones thread, so next time if you know how you should try and start a new thread ;)
yes i would but i am not able to plus they dont seem to mind.. :D:D plus its for advice. and my topic happens to match this topic. so what would the problem be?
but anyway enough with that.
how the heck am i gonna get the water brackish! i dont have any special salt. and im dumb enough to put salt in there. i mean realy. that is so stupid.. er..... would that help?:confused::p:p trust me im not gonna do that.... at least... not yet.:shock::D

Back
Top Bottom