Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2004, 11:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to JenNewbie
Molly fry gender question

I feel embarrassed to ask "birds and bees" type question, but here goes. Of the two mollys I bought that had frys, 2 have survived and are now a good 3/4" long or so. They both looked female, but on one of the frys, the anal fin is starting to look almost divided. Do molly frys all look female when they are first born? Is my morphing fry a male, or does it just have a ragged fin? It's a bit crucial because I don't want to be hip deep in mollys, so this guy must go to the LFS if it is male...

Old 06-21-2004, 11:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure when they are born. When sexually mature, the males' anal fin will look long and slender when compared to the triangular anal fin of the female. This is the gonopodium used to deliver the sperm to the female.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 11:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd say they're still too small to tell. They are now still too young to breed, so you have a few more weeks. I don't think they are old enough to breed until they're 1-1 1/4".

Kim

Tags
fry, gender, molly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com