My two cockatoo apistos...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joyler said:
Just looked in with a flash light!! We got eggs :)

: D yay! Babies!!! Maybe they won't get eaten this time. You should hire the teenage ninja assassin snails to protect them!!!

Joyler said:
Just looked in with a flash light!! We got eggs :)

With this said...I was wondering if shining in a flashlight for a second would stress her out enough to eat the eggs

Joyler said:
With this said...I was wondering if shining in a flashlight for a second would stress her out enough to eat the eggs

Well it might freak her out lol. I would just stay away from any possible way of bothering her.

allaboutfish said:
how often do they breed?

This is their second time in three weeks...I just used it to check and see if he was guarding...there will be no more flashlight

Oh, and the cave she likes has too low of a ceiling for either snail to get in to :)

I also got to quick of a glance to see how many eggs there were in the brood, but it is probably 1.5-2 times more than their first spawn a week and a half ago

One more question...both times my babies have mated all the other fish start hanging out on the same side of the tank as the nest, but not as much when there are no eggs...is that coincidence?

Joyler said:
One more question...both times my babies have mated all the other fish start hanging out on the same side of the tank as the nest, but not as much when there are no eggs...is that coincidence?

Probably not a good thing lol... What is mr. he doing while she guards the eggs?

He usually hangs out above the java moss that covers the top of her pot...I'll try and get a pic

So the first picture is him above her pot, but making his way down into his little man cave haha...which is just an elbow joint pipe

Attachments

• image-3313142944.jpg
    image-3313142944.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 102
This is him staking out the territory :)

Attachments

• image-2078618493.jpg
    image-2078618493.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 106
allaboutfish said:
what are the signs that there are eggs if you cant see them?

Well, I shined a flash light in...as you can see her pot is buried probably about half or three quarters in to the gravel...the reason I first suspected was because I couldn't see her in the tank...then I checked inside her pot and I could see movement (her) when she goes in and stays in there with out even poking her head out for a period of time that was my indication! I checked with light to make certain...does that make sense? And if it does...does it help?

Joyler said:

That's probably why they were eaten in the first place. The female must have gotten really nervous with them all so close. I would remove the other fish if you want a successful spawn.

Back
Top Bottom