Need help Gold severum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 2 gold severums in my community tank, I am most certain that 1 of the severum's is female but I can't tell the gender of the other one :/
I can't tell the difference they pretty much look the same other than size and one of them is much paler than the other.

Also I was wondering can a female severum lay eggs without a male around and protect them without them being fertilised?

Your help will be much appreciated thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Females can/will lay eggs with or w/out a male to fertilize them. Males typically have longer dorsal and anal fins than females, though depending on the size/age of the fish it may not be apparent yet. The other visible difference is the facial markings, males have them, females don't. Otherwise, venting them is the most reliable method if they're too young to sex by appearance.

Females can/will lay eggs with or w/out a male to fertilize them. Males typically have longer dorsal and anal fins than females, though depending on the size/age of the fish it may not be apparent yet. The other visible difference is the facial markings, males have them, females don't. Otherwise, venting them is the most reliable method if they're too young to sex by appearance.

Ok thanks for that as my female has been laying eggs quite a few times but I don't know if they are ever fertilised :s hmmm ok I thought females were the ones with the long dorsal fins. But both of them seem to have long dorsal fins so I can't tell :/ if I post a picture will you be able to tell?
I see a bit of marks on the smaller one but cannot be seen clearly as of yet
What do you mean by venting them?

Turn them over and look at the position and shape of the vent, Male or Female?

Ok i'll try that but I dunno if i'll be able to tell what the gender is by doing that :s also will that not stress the fish out while I'm looking?
if I upload pictures of my fish could you be able to tell the difference?

The fish wouldn't be comfortable, but being netted briefly shouldn't stress them out too terribly. May be able to tell from pics if they're old enough.

The fish wouldn't be comfortable, but being netted briefly shouldn't stress them out too terribly. May be able to tell from pics if they're old enough.

Ahh ok I don't know I don't seem comfortable on doing that :s
If you could tell by these pictures then that would be great :) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413361035.455243.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413361058.705177.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413361087.925107.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413361109.941273.jpg

The first 2 is the small one that I'm not too sure on and I'm pretty sure the last 2 pictures are of a female severum

Last 2 are definitely a male, the pointed anal fin extends well past the tail fin. First 2 look like a smaller male, females have a relatively shorter and more rounded anal fin.
My super red pair, male on the left:

Nice severums

Fishobsessed7

Thanks a lot :)

Last 2 are definitely a male, the pointed anal fin extends well past the tail fin. First 2 look like a smaller male, females have a relatively shorter and more rounded anal fin.

My super red pair, male on the left:

Are you sure the last 2 are male? Because most sure that it is a female as I think she is the one that lays the eggs...I know for a fact there is a female between one of them as I have seen eggs been laid multiple times so any chance you can tell now?

That's a lovely pair! I really would like to get red severums they look sooo good but they are so expensive here :/

I could be wrong, but from the pics the 3rd one looks like a male since the anal fin is so long. Harder to tell with the 1st one, but there's an obvious difference in the fin length between the 2nd and 3rd pics.
I've had these for years, they were much smaller when I got them. There's an old white (black) skirt tetra in the left corner of the first pic, gives an idea of their size.

I could be wrong, but from the pics the 3rd one looks like a male since the anal fin is so long. Harder to tell with the 1st one, but there's an obvious difference in the fin length between the 2nd and 3rd pics.
I've had these for years, they were much smaller when I got them. There's an old white (black) skirt tetra in the left corner of the first pic, gives an idea of their size.

Yeah I have done research and everything is saying that a male will have longer fins then females but I am sure that I one of the severums is a female as they have laid eggs many times and I have seen them protecting them :s

anyone?

Also another question will a male severum lay sperm without any eggs present?
im only asking as i have seen one of my severums going up and down looks like its laying but nothing is coming out so im guessing releasing sperm... :S

Can anyone please answer my questions?
It would be much appreciated thanks :)

Can no one answer my questions?
Please I'm waiting for a answer :/

To me they both look like males which is strange. They may just be larger females! A female fish (many egg-laying fish will do this) will lay eggs whether or not she has a male to fertilize them. They will simply "die" if gone without fertilization and either need to be removed from the tank or will get eaten.

To me they both look like males which is strange. They may just be larger females! A female fish (many egg-laying fish will do this) will lay eggs whether or not she has a male to fertilize them. They will simply "die" if gone without fertilization and either need to be removed from the tank or will get eaten.

Well I know one of them the larger one is the female as I've seen her lay eggs but not sure about the other one...I think it's male because as it was going up and down nothing was coming out of it's duct so I'm guessing it was sperm?

Oh ok but then would a male do that as well? Lay sperm randomly where there are no eggs?

Back
Top Bottom