Not Sure Where To Put This . . . Need Help With The Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honmol

Aquarium Advice Activist
I do a thing where I get salmon eggs every year and raise them till the salmon are big enough to survive and put them into the salmon stream. The eggs are dying in larger numbers really quickly. I'm not sure what's causing it. They're to the point where I can see their eyes through the eggs. Every day or so I find about 3 more eggs dead, they're either fully white or half white. This is normal, but the number of dead eggs is not. What can I do to stop them from dying?

you probably should not be doing this in the first place. You could be contaminating the wild born fish population with things from your tank. Keeping fish in such a small container creates a perfect environment for any bad thing like disease and parasites to take hold and introducing them into the wild could lead to killing off the healthy population.

Sorry to burst the bubble, hope you dont mind.

Kevin :|

Sorry. I didn't tell you all of it. The schools and stuff do it too. I put the fry in the stream when they get to be about 1 inch or 1 and a half inches. I don't take the eggs, there is actually an organization here that gets the eggs, provides the tanks, everything. It's not just that I do this. But I'd really like these eggs to grow into fry and eventually salmon. Can you help me stop them from dying?

It is natural for some of the eggs to become covered in fungus. The ones that do are dead. It is best to remove the eggs that are fungused as it will spread to the others. do a search for eggs and fungus and you will find tons of things you can do.

honmol said:
Sorry. I didn't tell you all of it. The schools and stuff do it too. I put the fry in the stream when they get to be about 1 inch or 1 and a half inches. I don't take the eggs, there is actually an organization here that gets the eggs, provides the tanks, everything. It's not just that I do this. But I'd really like these eggs to grow into fry and eventually salmon. Can you help me stop them from dying?

I've never agreed with schools doing this, you can still introduce foreign pathogens into the local ecosystems in doing this. This is why farmed salmon is such a scurge in the pacific northwest. If these organizations want to educate the children then they should give them a pair of convicts or angel fish or something that cares for their young.

Is the tank chilled at all?

Back
Top Bottom