Ok folks, I thought I could tell but I obviously can't.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hisc1ay

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ARRG! I've been watching my guppies every day to see if I can tell 1) when they're pregnant, and 2) when they're about to birth. I saw black areas where they should be, but I thought it was food, cuz it wouldn't always be black. So today I found 5 new babies. I had no idea. Could someone please tell me exactly what to look for in my females so next time I can get her in a birthing net? Thanks. :) Y'all are awesome.

-j

*edit - FYI, I was able to get them all into the net. I stuck it in the water with a baby-friendly plastic plant, and 2 of them managed to make their way in. The rest I patiently caught and moved. :) I'm excited, but soon my tank will be too small 8O

I know the situation your in. The only surefire way I have been able to tell is when I see babies, I assume one of them was pregnant. :lol:

Well guys, I really dont like most guppies, but I really like the thought of raising fry. So I think I am gonna get some, the question is, and bearfan you can probably nail this, is can they go into my 5.5 planted and breed succesfully?

Thanks, I know I cant have many fish in a 5.5 but I would give them to the LFS often. How do you know what the difference is in males and females?

Well, the last question is the easiest :) The most distinguishable difference is the anal fin. The females are fanned out and the males are rolled up behind them.

-j

your 5.5 can work. I have a 6 gallon eclipse breeder and it works fine. Also, I dont worry about taking the babies out. Have plenty of water sprite floating, and on the bottom of the tank, and the babies wil live. :D

Back
Top Bottom