Oscar laid eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jm58a

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My oscar fish laid eggs on the side of her tank. The tank is a 25 gallon tank shared by the pair. I am no certain though if it is a male and female specie. But one of the pair constantly aerate the eggs and constantly chases the other one who attempts to get near the egg. and I fear that the one guarding the eggs would get so exhausted and might eventually get sick since I don't see her feeding.

Any advice on how I should take care of this bunch? Would it be good to move the other oscar to a different tank?

Are you sure they are oscars? They aren't suppose to reach sexual maturity until the are 10"-12" long which is about 18 months old. So an Oscar that fits in a 20 gallon shouldn't be laying eggs.

How many and what kind of fish do you have in this tank? Pictures would be great.

Are you sure they are oscars? They aren't suppose to reach sexual maturity until the are 10"-12" long which is about 18 months old. So an Oscar that fits in a 20 gallon shouldn't be laying eggs.

How many and what kind of fish do you have in this tank? Pictures would be great.

There's no way there are two oscars in a 25g laying and fertilizing eggs, and if by some miracle there is I don't want to see pictures.

Yes they are oscars. And they are about 10". I actually just got them a couple of months back and they were already that size. They are actually on a 50g tank but I divided the tank into 2 by placing a partition glass. It's just the pair in one partition and a single oscar on the other partition. I placed a partition because the other oscar was aggressive for territorial reason because I got her first.

jm58a said:
Yes they are oscars. And they are about 10". I actually just got them a couple of months back and they were already that size. They are actually on a 50g tank but I divided the tank into 2 by placing a partition glass. It's just the pair in one partition and a single oscar on the other partition. I placed a partition because the other oscar was aggressive for territorial reason because I got her first.

Rehome the 3rd Oscar and put them in a 75-90 gallon minimum. There is no way that those fish will survive long term in a divided 50 gallon.

What color are the eggs? If they are fertized the oscars will take care of them on their own, although first timers may eat them but they will get the hang of it. You really need to upgrade tanks like yesterday, trying to house three oscars in a 50g tank is a water parameter nightmare. I keep my breeding pair in a 75g during spawn(normally in a 150g) and I'm running dual Fluval 405's and two 50-60% water changes weekly.

Back
Top Bottom