peacock breeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdsmitty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a german red male and female peacock and a male flametail peacock. problem is the guys r hanging around and niether of em pay any attention or have anything to do with the female :( i wouldn't mind to see the flametail breed with the german red (since i don't sell fish and just want pretty fish) but as i said niether of my guys r intrested. beginning to wonder about em. any insight here? and is there anything i can do to induce the mood?

Well I don't know about those fish specificly but I know normally to induce breeding doing a lot of large water changes, raise the temp of the tank, and feed them a lot of meaty food (live food like brine shrimp, blood worms, feeder fish, ghost shrimp.) This could most likely induce breeding.

You could also put a male and a female in a seperate breeder tank anywhere from 5-20 gallon is a good breeder size. Then do everything I said above.

So i'm not saying this will work for these fish but most fish in general are like this.

Aulonocara's will interbreed. Depending on the individual fish and what other fish are in the tank. With cichlids the best thing you can do to induce breeding is clean water and extra water changes.

With cichlids do avoid feeding them meaty foods, it can cause malawi bloat. Try adding some veggies to the tank as a treat once in a while.

Also for cichlids a breeder's tank should be a minimum of 20 gals but I don't find breeder's tanks to be much help with cichlids myself. They tend to breed more if more familiar with their surroundings.

What size is your tank and what are the other tankmates? Do you have plenty of rocks for them to spawn and hide in?

Last edited:
my layout

maintank:
55gal rocked with malawi mix
1 german red peacock male
1 german red peacock female
1 flametail peacock
3 electric blue zebras
3 electric yellow (labs)
1 red zebra
1 blueberry
1 cobalt
1 florida pleco
eletric blue lobster
this tank is done from bottom to top with various rock with all kinds of tunnels and hiding spots, with a few fake plants.

Picture 073.jpg

You have some fish in there that may discourage breeding in your peacocks. Be patient and time will tell if they will pair off. They usually start with chasing each other then doing the cichlid "shimmy".

Back
Top Bottom