Platy brood size small or superfetation? fry pics added

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomK2

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, while vacuuming the bottom of my breeding tank today, I found two platy fry, and later noticed a fry head floating around without a body (eaten or killed by maintenance?). Thats a pretty small brood size. Neither of the females looks significantly thinner or smaller. So, did one release all the fry it has, and doesn't look thinner because there were so few to begin with? Or did most of them just get eaten? Or can some platies release the brood over time, so I can expect more in the next few days?

pics further down in later post

If they are stressed, they can deliver still born babies. Your fish could have cleaned up. Or, seeing as you have angels in the tank, chances are, they had a field day with the babies. Also, if these are young fish, it's not that unnatural for them to only have a few.

about 5 days ago I netted two females who looked pregnant and put them in a breeding tank with a divider. Saw the first two fry a couple of hours ago. The fry count is up to 6 (+1 killed) now. I don't know if this represents more fry released or if they are coming out of hiding and moving over to the safe side. I have had the platies since december, and have seen fry on two other occasions in the main tank (no survivors).

do you know how long it takes a platy to release the fry? I was planning on keeping the females in the tank for one more day, then moving them back to the display tank. The fry are getting bold, and crossing over to the adult side of the breeding tank, and I figure a few will get eaten if I leave the adults in the tank too long. but I want her to finish delivering, so is one day enough?

Attachments

• fry1.jpg
    fry1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 90
  • fry2.jpg
    fry2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 81
  • fry3.jpg
    fry3.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 83
Back
Top Bottom