Platy with brown line looks like bursting at seams on under side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Currently have a platy in QT thinking pregnant.

But she gave birth do two fry on Aug 10. Really fat, but looks like she has a seam in the middle of her belly which looks like on the verge of splitting open. I thought the gestation period is longer.

Loss of appetite. Looks square from above, but no a drop in lower belly but not concave either. Had white stringy, thin poop that I helped disconnect. Looks like a dilated hole by anus, but not white, kind of red.

Never have been able to see a gravid spot. Body is in sort of hunchback position. Occasianal jerky movement, bit not extreme. Hangs out mostly by fake plants with no preference for top or bottom of tank.

Not rubbing or gasping for air. Gills are fairly red, but have always been. QT is 1 gallon. Air stone, no filter so I change 30 percent in AM and then 10 percent two times a day. Add literally 10 grains of aquarium salt and replacement water pretreated with prime.

Think she is pregnant or constipated or has worms?

Appreciate your help.

I'm not too sure what it is but keep an eye on her. I just lost my female platy after she gave birth. She was holding for quite a while though and not all fry were released at once over two days. She had been hiding since and seemed to not be eating either. I didn't think she'd live long, this is my first experience with livebearers. Been in the hobby since I was 12 (17now) but yeah. Good luck I hope she pulls through for you.
Edit: does she have a gravid spot that is squared off near above her anal fin? this Is the easiest way to tell if she is holding fry.

I'm not too sure what it is but keep an eye on her. I just lost my female platy after she gave birth. She was holding for quite a while though and not all fry were released at once over two days. She had been hiding since and seemed to not be eating either. I didn't think she'd live long, this is my first experience with livebearers. Been in the hobby since I was 12 (17now) but yeah. Good luck I hope she pulls through for you.
Edit: does she have a gravid spot that is squared off near above her anal fin? this Is the easiest way to tell if she is holding fry.

I've never been able to identify the gravid spots. I also forgot to mention she looks a little bug-eyed, but not popeye.

Hmmm she doesn't look gravid. She could be bloated. What are you feeding her. Take a pea, zap it with some water in the microwave for a bit. Shell it and give it a squish and drop it in for her.

Hmmm she doesn't look gravid. She could be bloated. What are you feeding her. Take a pea, zap it with some water in the microwave for a bit. Shell it and give it a squish and drop it in for her.

Thanks for the,advice, but she rejected that two days in a row. :(

I feel this is misleading because she doesn't look that way all the time...could be the lighting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 86
So she's not eating at all?
Maybe someone could chime in and help out.

Thanks for following up. Sadly, she died this morning. I probably moved it along with my efforts to help.

She wouldn't eat but she was swimming around last night, getting heavier and heavier. She had raised scales on her belly (not so far as pineconing). I am sure I stressed her out with the frequent water changes, the teeny tiny drop of parasite medicine, more water changes and then the bad mistake of adding 10 individual grains of aquarium salt trying to alleviate the bloat after researching alternate possibilities for her condition. I decided it was bloat because of the raised scales near the swelling.

This morning she was breathing with slow gill movement. I looked it up and turns out aquarium salt is contraindicated because it retains water.

Went to get epsom salt. Water changed. Did a separate salt bath with very little salt and then dipped in another salt bowl with a minuscule amount of salt to "ease" the transition back. Both were in water pretreated with prime from last night.

She did not look in pain during these baths. About an hour after returning her to the cleaned, pre-treated water, it was not good. She had the bloat float and goosebumps all over. I am in denial. After removing her to put in freezer, Her body wasn't stiff like my other dead fish have been so I couldn't do it and returned her back to the QT where she remains with the glimmer of hope she will rise from the dead.

I know she won't, but I will face it later this afternoon. I will then thoroughly disinfect the emergency QT container without soap, but lots of boiling hot rinses. I mean lots and a few drops of prime during them.

Worst case if I am not convinced it is clean, I will use the container for a fakeout miniature greenhouse outside. The container was 10$ and is one of those corner fish tanks that I would never dream of using otherwise.

My regular 5 gallon QT is occupied with 10 fry.

Sorry for the long response. I needed to get out my guilt for aggravating the process.

I really appreciate that you followed up.

I'm sorry to hear about this...hope she goes peacefully. Sometimes there is nothing you can do. Was she with other fish. Watch them in case they begin to show signs of anything that is linked to her. If it is an internal parasite.

I'm sorry to hear about this...hope she goes peacefully. Sometimes there is nothing you can do. Was she with other fish. Watch them in case they begin to show signs of anything that is linked to her. If it is an internal parasite.

Thanks. I finally faced it and put her in the freezer for later burial. She was with other fish and will definitely keep an eye on them. The hardest part is to refrain from medicating and do frequent, frequent water changes. Which I was doing anyway. Patience.

Back
Top Bottom