Pregnant molly question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello as you may know I have a molly that is pregnant she has stopped eating almost completely is not swimming around as much. More like floating if you will in one area. She is VERY fat. But my question is, is this a sign that she will give birth soon? ( she is is in her own tank and has been for almost 4 days. ). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Molly did that several days before she gave birth. I would find her laying on the bottom of the tank. Once I thought she was dead. I touched her with the net and she jumped up and flew across the tank. I think I just about gave her a heart attach. It lasted about a week. Then she gave birth and was fine. She is about to give birth again. Hope this is the last time.

I think it is that way with most live breeders. I have swordtails and guppies in one tank, and they both get les active when they are about to give birth.

You can get one of these at petco or where ever you go. You can ether put the female in and let it birth or catch the fry after.

Attachments

• image-1293949883.jpg
    image-1293949883.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 46
I went to my lfs and the said that they didn't sell them and so I guess I'll just have to catch them.

I went to my lfs and the said that they didn't sell them and so I guess I'll just have to catch them.

You can make your own out I a plastic milk jug. Just punch holes in it with a hot needle. It may kinda suction to the side on its own, but if you have one of those cleaning magnets, hold it in place with that.

Ok well try that.

I stole the idea from another thread that popped up right after yours. I actually thought it was yours because they had Molly fry. If you want to read it search for "help babies" it may have some more information to help you out.

Be sure not to use a magnet that is not sealed off in some way. It will likely leak metals into your tank. So use one of those cleaning magnets if you have one. If you don't I would put the one on the inside in a sandwich back or ziplock bag.

Here are some pics I was able to shoot of her while she was still. She has been doing this a lot lately.

image-2128544728.jpg

image-536130372.jpg

Attachments

• image-3972858870.jpg
    image-3972858870.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 53
Ok well I hope I get them soon cause I'm on spring break so I'd had time to take extra good care of em.

You can make a fry holder out of a plastic food storage bowl like lunch meat and stuff comes in. Any some what clear container will work. Just poke holes in the sides to allow for water movement. Don't make them too big though. You don't want the fry to get out. I put a plastic plant in mine so that the fry could have some shelter. I tied a piece of fishing line to it by pocking a hole in the rim and then taped the line to the side of the tank to keep the container in place. Or you could use cloths pins to attach it to the side of the tank. Anything to hold it in place.

Ok thanks for the ideas!! Any others I want to get as many as I can.

Ok thanks for the ideas!! Any others I want to get as many as I can.

You can feed them flake food. Just pinch a tiny bit and grind it up between your fingers. Do that about 3 times a day. They will grow pretty fast. It usually takes about a mounts for them to get big enough to not get eaten. Make sure they are bigger than the other fishes mouth.

I have already done that. And how old will be before they start to have babies of their own.

Here is a picture of my pregnant guppy. I think it will birth any day now.

Attachments

• image-481095566.jpg
    image-481095566.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom