pregnant platy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smemtb371409

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my three gallon tank for three months now, my five gallon for two months, and my ten gallon for a couple of weeks. I bought two platys a little less than a month ago and since then my female platy has tripled in size. I took a pic of her and took her to my fish store where they told me she was definatly pregnant. I moved her last week from the five gallon tank which she shared with a betta, two danios, and the other platy, to the three gallon by herself because the fish store people said she was ready to pop at any time. its been four days since I was there and my mama fish has continued to get larger, and she has begun to just chill out near the top of the 3 gallon tank. Is she getting ready to give birth? until today she has been extremely active and the past 6 hours she just kinda stays in one place. the other reason that i placed her in the three gallon to give birth is because the filter in this tank is an under gravel one and the fry are less likely to be sucked into it. if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

After she gives birth and your sure she is done she will take the babies as a snack so you will need to remove her if you want the fry to live

platy

thanks a ton for that info... How will i know that she is ready to start giving birth? and what if it happens while im at school or work? im usually gone dring the day on weekdays. will she eat all of them if im not here? or is there a chance that a good amount will make it? please help.. the only aquatic creature that ever reproduced on me was a lake snail that i took home with me and it had 12 babies! lol!

If you really want the fry get some plants live or fake to give the fry some hiding places for the best survival.

yes a lot of plants will help fry survive. Many times they give birth after it rains or during the night (just a warning) she will be breathing heavily and hiding. also the "tube" that the young come out of will be much larger. sometimes darker in color. after a while you will notice certian fish have certian habbits. Watch and observe....:D

platy preggo

I have two plastic plants in the tank bunched together and I have larger sized plastic jewel shaped stones in there as well. The lady at the fish store said that by looking at the pic of my platy she looked ready to drop the fry at any time but this was last thrusday and the pic was taken last wednesday... so Im just waiting! you guys are very helpful!

also when i look very closely at her belly which is usually white and almost seethru and is now a midium shade of gray, I can see tiny little black dots which i am assuming are the frys eyes... am i correct?

so there still are no babies, and she looks like she has gotten smaller. What could have happened? I have been here the whole time watching her hoping to see her give birth but she no longer looks pregnant nor are there fry.... any info would be appreciated

Back
Top Bottom