Pregnant Platy behavour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turtle71

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Platy girl is really big by now and the guy is sticking with her since days. Wherever she goes he is right beside or behind her.
I am assuming her time is coming soon. But why is he doing that? Is he waiting for snack being served any moment?

I am not sure why but mine goes into hiding then theres babies as long as you have places to hide she will get away and the babies will also go into hiding my first hid under the gravel.
Couisidentaly I got more today just discovered them.
Good luck :)
(Was a turtle owner) :)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am not sure why but mine goes into hiding then theres babies as long as you have places to hide she will get away and the babies will also go into hiding my first hid under the gravel.
Couisidentaly I got more today just discovered them.
Good luck :)
(Was a turtle owner) :)

I was for sure not in your tank :lol:

:p think my randy boys going to have to go this is my 3rd lot in a month.
Molly babies x 2
3 x platy
Now more platy and unsure on number atleast another 3!! Lol

still no platy juniors. hm but the Moms to be hang out more in the greenery.
I made a few more pics today. Does anybody see a boxy shape? Happy about every comment because I am starting to wonder if I am crazy :angel:Platy 004 (640x480).jpg

Platy 005 (640x480).jpg

Platy 011 (640x480).jpg

Platy 014 (640x480).jpg

Bit more to go id say mine looked bigger. Few more days maybe

Bit more to go id say mine looked bigger. Few more days maybe

Thank you Kelli fish. I'm glad that you think as well that they're pregnant.
I am so worried that I could miss the right time to put them in the breeder box. Don't want the babes to be eaten by all the hungry community comrades. Wondering if I should move the girls into a breeder tank so it's just them and nobody else.

I wouldn't worry as much as you are I have mixed community tank and I have 20+ thriving fry. They dont bother them as when the fry are tiny just give them bit more food so they don't want to eat them lol. How they going? Xx

I wouldn't worry as much as you are I have mixed community tank and I have 20+ thriving fry. They dont bother them as when the fry are tiny just give them bit more food so they don't want to eat them lol. How they going? Xx

still no nothing. Could be that the water is to cold. I am having heater issues which is hopefully fixed in the next few hours.
I decided on just leaving the fishies where they are and let nature go. I created a lot of hiding places for Moms and Fry. Any other solution just sounds to stressful to me and my fish lol. Moving them to different tanks or breeder boxes...no I don't like the idea. They swim around and do look happy so I leave it as is. :fish2:

I think you have made best dessicion its too much stress like you say.
Just leave them to it :) x

exciting

I think one of my girls is in labor right now. I did a nice water change this morning and the temperature is now steady at 81F. My lady Platy is right beside the *forest* very close to the ground and hasn't left this spot since one hour. Lights are off for the afternoon. She seems agitated and doesn't want other fish near her. She looks at bit confused and annoyed. poor girl :D

That sounds familiar to me. Baby fish in few days. They will hide very well till about 2-5days then there every where lol. Let me know. I actually saw one pop out lol shot straight under the gravel clever things x

That sounds familiar to me. Baby fish in few days. They will hide very well till about 2-5days then there every where lol. Let me know. I actually saw one pop out lol shot straight under the gravel clever things x

that's what I am hoping for to see but Madam hides out of sight. I can't see what she is doing and I don't wanna bother her either. Can't wait for these little eyes looking at me :)
so I will be patient and keep looking :popcorn:

Yes just be very observant for the next few days especially in the middle of plants and under things. I now habe 20+ thriving fry lol pic to follow

There every where lol :p

Attachments

• 1394477612605.jpg
    1394477612605.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 1394477646035.jpg
    1394477646035.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 68
Now one of my girls is sitting all day almost with her belly on the gravel between plants at a very hidden and quiet spot.
She seems very calm.
The other fish staying nearby almost like sharks watching her.
Do you think she is having the fry now every moment?

I think she will be thats exactly what mine did for 2/3 days unless eating...
Just keep your eye out in the plants and under things the fry will come out I saw 2 new ones today only about 5days there out n about around there hiding hole. Just gotta be very observant x

Any babies yet?

Oh is she still on the bottom is it 2 girls? Xx

Back
Top Bottom