saving fry from the filter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timwag2001

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i had a bunch of gbr eggs that hatched and i had a new tank all set up for them, i put pantyhose on the intake of the filter to prevent them from being sucked in. what happened was the current was too much and carried my fry up off of the bottom of the tank and get stuck to the pantyhose. where they all died.
i'm getting closer to actually getting some gbr fry to survive, but this is an obstacle that i can't figure out how to get passed. any suggestions?

I agree, a large sponge on the inlet would lessen the vacuum and allow the fry to get themselves off of the pipe

Get an Aquaclear sponge and cut an cut a small "x" in one end. Slip it over the intake. This works great for fry.

I used pantyhose and had no issues, but I turned the flow way down on my filter so there was very little suction when they were first free-swimming, and their smallest. As they've gotten bigger (they're about a week and a half old now) I have been able to turn the flow on stronger because they are bigger and strong enough not to be sucked in. I still have the pantyhose on it though. This has also had an unexpected side-benefit. Since the crushed flakes I have been feeding them get sucked onto the filter intake, they stick to the pantyhose and the fish have used it as a "feeding station" of sorts! The flow is low enough so that it attracts the food, and then the fish just gather around it and pick the food off! Mine are baby Jewel fry and growing pretty quickly. They're about a half an inch long after just a week and a half! Maybe it's because they are so well fed! Anyhow, good luck with your babies!

As BigFoot said, use a slit in the end of a filter sponge. It looks like this on my desktop.

img_979744_0_f566c35f7139f1f2216a6fcfaca24adb.jpg

And it looks like this in place on the filter inlet tube after about a month.

img_979744_1_2bb1b70f4547a11c9e77100f19e60ad6.jpg

thanks a lot. i can't wait to get more fry to give it a try

Back
Top Bottom