Scarlet Badis Pair Fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
In my planted 10G I have what I believe to be a pair of scarlet badis.,one has strong coloration and the other has very faint lines and little iridescence. When I was feeding daphnia today, I realized when the "female" was really close to the male, he would nip at her, but she keeps hovering close to him. She dosent flip out when he bites her either. The one that I believe to be a female has a rounder stomach than usual. Do you think she is pregnant? I'll post some pictures when I can get them to come out. I'm kind of scared that the female is actually a male juvie. So if ones a female and male, is the nipping just them pairing off? Or is this normal? Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks in advance:D

In my planted 10G I have what I believe to be a pair of scarlet badis.,one has strong coloration and the other has very faint lines and little iridescence. When I was feeding daphnia today, I realized when the "female" was really close to the male, he would nip at her, but she keeps hovering close to him. She dosent flip out when he bites her either. The one that I believe to be a female has a rounder stomach than usual. Do you think she is pregnant? I'll post some pictures when I can get them to come out. I'm kind of scared that the female is actually a male juvie. So if ones a female and male, is the nipping just them pairing off? Or is this normal? Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks in advance:D

As long as they aren't damaging each other it's ok. A 10g with lots of plants should be fine. I've seen them in smaller tanks as only fish. Gravid is the term you want, but if they are young she/he may just be fat ;)

I haven't had a true pair. One of my club members does and ended up with a couple of Juvies popping out of his plants one day.

Coursair said:
As long as they aren't damaging each other it's ok. A 10g with lots of plants should be fine. I've seen them in smaller tanks as only fish. Gravid is the term you want, but if they are young she/he may just be fat ;)

I haven't had a true pair. One of my club members does and ended up with a couple of Juvies popping out of his plants one day.

Oh ok, good lol I'll keep an eye out though. I'm still in the process of heavily planting the tank. Just fed them some live daphnia, it was absolutely amazing watching them hunt them! Ahh, gravid, thank you:) I couldn't think of the term when originally writing the post. I still think its a female though, it's pretty large. She's just as big as my male. I've haven't seen her eat much though, kind of hard feeding them, lol I'm sure you would know :)

Coursair said:
Your pics are sideways. Your "female" is showing a lot of markings ? I'll be interested in how she turns out.

Is there any way I can flip them on the app? If not, how do I do it on the computer?

Back
Top Bottom