Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tategrant

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10gallon tank and I want to breed shrimp for food for my saltwater tank. What are the best shrimp to breed

If you go on aquabid, people sell the wild variation of red cherry shrimp. Some people try an sell them for a lot but others practically give them away. I've seen 10 for $1 and offers like that. These shrimp are practically identical to rcs, except for the color. They aren't worth a whole lot either so it's not like your feeding anything high quality.

Do I have to put anything extra into the tank to breed the shimp?

Nope. They prefer a planted tank. Probably breed slower without the plants and all. I would recommend filling the tank with plants, adding the shrimp, and let them breed. You could even have a bare bottom and just fill the tank with java moss and other floating plants. That'd be a lot easier to clean.

It'll work, but in my experience they favor live plants by a longshot. They probably breed a lot faster too. The baby shrimp can eat the infusoria found in abundance on and around plants.

I have a moss ball too. Could they survive with other fish and ghost shrimp?

In a ten gallon? That's a lot of fish. Your Molly and gourami would probably munch down on the smaller ones. Tetras might like em too.

In a ten gallon? That's a lot of fish. Your Molly and gourami would probably munch down on the smaller ones. Tetras might like em too.

It's only 3 tetra. Should I try or not

The shrimp will definitely live with those fish, but they won't breed. Well they will but I doubt any of the young would survive to adulthood.

Yep. I'm actually setting one up right now. A heavily planted 10 gallon works best for me.

Do you just put the tank into your main tank or is it a whole different tank?

Back
Top Bottom