Spawning Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
Wondering if anyone has any experience spawning barbs? I have 4 gold barbs (3 big fat ones, and one smaller one with more markings) in a 20 long with 1 female betta. Water is nice and clean of course. Just did a water change with cooler water. They are all hiding now. Such babies! LOL! I can do another tomorrow if need be. I would like to try and spawn them. Any tips? Tank is about 80 degrees or so, gravel substrate and silk plants.

Plenty of quality foods to condition the fish.... frozen bloodworm, daphnia, enriched brine shrimp etc and possibly chopped earthworms.

At work we had a couple of golden barbs in our plant tanks. We eventually removed the fish, but then started finding babies in there, so they can't be too hard. Temperature was never more than around 23C (whatever that is in F, lol)

I would try cooling the tank to, say, 75 while you condition the fish, then try raising it again to 80. Sometimes, cooling can trigger spawning as it mimics natural rainfall / flooding etc.

Back
Top Bottom