They hatched!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Against all odds, my angelfish eggs have hatched! I have about 200 angelfish fry. Not bad for not having a clue of what I am doing, LOL.

1002068.jpg

1002069.jpg

1002070.jpg

Wow Zagz, :multi: congratulations, (y) hope they all make it, what ya gonna do with 200 angel fish lol??? i hope you will update this and show us the stages they go through!!!!

Thanks everyone, I have kept a log and most breeders would probably cringe at my methods. Did a pwc carefully last night, maybe that brought on the hatching? LOL. I plan on doing small pwcs every day and trying to feed small portions 4 times a day. I'm amazed at how tiny they are, until now I have only spawned livebearer's and cichlids. Now I have to hatch brine shrimp, but I have boiled egg yolk for a few days. You know this means I need another tank right? ROFL, after the move it will be a 90-110 gal for community fish I think. A dozen tanks sounds good I think.

First water change with airline tubing. What fun that is. A syringe to put the fry back into the tank. I used a white 1 gal pail to put the old water in so I could see the fry when they came out of the tube. I now believe there is actually closer to 300 fry in there. And half the eggs fungused! My mind is whirling on how many fry there would be had they not!

I fed them some egg yolk. Anyone know how to tell how much egg yolk to fed at a time? I fed just a bit, a very little bit. They went after it like piranha. :)

Very cool Anne. I usually adhere a few small amounts of the egg yolk to the glass. Angel fry are voracious eaters.

Raising the fry presents lots of challenges. Don't be surprised as the size of the brood begins to dwindle. PWCs are essential to growth and health but fry are especially intolerant of changes in water conditions.

WOW congrads on the fry, With the egg yolk I use this rule of tumb if it's bigger then the end of you thumb it' to much. If it just covers your thumb that's just right. The clean up of theuneatten yolk is a must. The egg yolk will cuse huge amunts of amonia to build up quickly. There for needs to be removed everyday after the feding. i never let the uneatten yolk to stay in the tank for more then 2hrs.

Back
Top Bottom