what to do with cory eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yv1

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey everyone,

i have one cory, i had 2 but one had a accident a couple months back...yet for some reason my one cory left is heavy with eggs and has planted her eggs all over the tank glass. i have no idea how to raise the eggs, or encourage them to hatch, or anything.

anyone have any information?

thanks

The eggs won't hatch without fertilization from the male (performed by most fish *after* the eggs are laid--that's the convenience of living in a viscous fluid medium!). You would need to buy a male to help out in this regard... The eggs will otherwise fungus over quickly...

BTW, with an estrous (ok, this term really only refers to mammals, but whatever)female in the tank, hormone levels will be high, and a new male should get the idea.... However, the eggs that have already been laid are a lost cause, I'm afraid. The male needs to fertilize them soon after the female lays them.

If you want fry, go get a male!! :D

If you do, and if more eggs are laid, remove them to a small tank, aerate them with an air stone and remove the eggs which become fungus-ridden (these will not survive). If you don't remove them, these eggs will have a "bad apple" effect and the other healthy eggs will also mold over.

Fry should be fed small foods such as Daphnia. When they're moving around, you can feed them liquifry and Hikari "first bites."

HTH

Back
Top Bottom