where'd my fry go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tracygh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I moved my guppy fry into the main tank, they seemed long enough, a bit over half an inch. The lady at the LFS said the guppies and cory cats wouldn't eat the fry, and that's all that was left in the tank, so I moved them all over...now I can't find them. No sign of the little stinkers anywhere! They were all visible and swimming around like crazy for a day or so, then I only saw three yesterday, now nada. Could they all bne hiding or am I a murderous moron?
Please advise/correct me so I don't make the same mistake twice, or calm my nerves if my fry are in hiding.
TIA

You're not a murderous moron at all Tracy. Nature isn't always predictable. Although the fry were "large" enough by standards...it is well known that most fish will eat their offspring.

You may want to try waiting until they are a little larger the next time around.

Do you have some plants in your tank?
If you have enough plants, chances are they are hiding in there.
I have some baby platys in my main tank, and they just stay in the plants until
they feel safe enough to come out, pretty smart little buggers! :)

I have two plastic and two real plants in my tank, and the one plastic one was called something like "spawning grass" (?) It's pretty dense. Gosh I sure hope they're in there.
I noticed them burrowing into the gravel on the first day, but I can't see any around the edges...
Thanks for the replies.
*keeping my fingers, toes, eyes, legs and everything else crossed*

Back
Top Bottom