will they ever drop fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got my kids, ages 4 and 6, some guppies so they can see them reproduce and it has been a month and a half with no fry. The tanks are heavily planted and I have 2 males and 5 females between two 10 gallon tanks and I usually move around the males and females once a week. I put a couple of the fattest more squared looking females in breeder boxes in a planted 5 gallon tank for a few days but nothing. They have gravid spots that seem to have gotten darker. I haven't seen any suddenly get skinny so I don't think fry have been dropped and all eaten but I guess its a possibility. No issues with any parameter. Ph 7.6, ammonia and trites zere, nitrates around 10. Temp 78.

The first time your waiting for them to drop is the hardest. Don't move them from tank to tank, just make sure there are hiding places for the fry. The reason for this to make sure that the only strongest survive, the adults will eat any they can get. Just leave them alone it will happen just be careful before you know you it you'll have too many to deal with.

Sometimes putting the females in breeders boxes will stress them out and they abort the process

I was worried maybe I had sterile guppies? I read some medications can make them sterile?

I only moved the males every week there is only one male in each tank so I was switching them so they can have different females to be around. And one of the males doesn't seem as "interested" while the other seems overly excited if you know what I mean?

Oh and don't worry I wont get overrun. Ill just put extras in with my main tank... ive got a large angelfish in there.... free food.

I have found that if I move them from tank to tank they don't drop. I just put them in the tank and let them be.
Be patient they will drop soon.

I have found that if I move them from tank to tank they don't drop. I just put them in the tank and let them be.
Be patient they will drop soon.

I didn't move the females only the males. Well I did put a couple of the fat females in a breeder box for a few days but realized that wasn't working but its been two weeks since I've moved anything.

Back
Top Bottom