0.5ppm ammonia in city tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok... What to do if your city tap water has ammonia?? Looks like about 0.50 ppm

Boy, this is majorly disappointing!

Use a product like prime that temporarily converts the ammonia to a less toxic form. By the time it has worn off you bacteria would have consumed it turning it to nitrite then nitrate. No big deal.

Ok... So Prime is good for cycling AND good for my Betta fish that I already have in a separate tank? I have Aqua-safe Plus now, could I just up-dose that until I read no ammonia?? Or does it not remove the ammonia reading on the API Master Test Kit?

Thanks for your replies!!

And (pls also see my question above)... Is chloramine bad for the beneficial bacteria or b/c it reads like ammonia on tests, bacteria treats it as such?? Thanks!!

Chloramine is chlorine bonded with ammonia. Prime will break this bond, neutralize the chlorine and bond with the ammonia making it less toxic for a while (about 24 hours). If you have a well established bio filter the ammonia will be converted before it becomes toxic again. The ammonia will still read with the API test.

Back
Top Bottom