1.5yr old DSB sand - can it be transferred to a new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maximo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 4-5in sand bed that has been in my 65 for about a year and a half. I want to change the tank out to a reef ready tank and I am wondering if the sand could be used in the new tank as the DSB?

It seems there is some concern about disturbing the DSB and letting out some bad stuff.

Those of you who have moved a tank with a DSB did you re-use it? Was everything ok?

Also would the sand be ok for a day or two in buckets or does it need circulation and heat?

Thanks,

-Eric

Changing over the substrate will be fine. Just watch for a mini-cycle in the new tank due to the disruption in the biological filter. Problems with DSB occur mainly in beds of 5 or more inches and with now sifting. If you have any sand sifting critters they will do a nice job of mixing the sand.

when taking the SB out if it smell at all ditch it... It is not worth having issues with a new tank to save a few bucks.
Do you see any dark areas in the SB in your tank now?
I just had to change out the SB in my fuge because it went bad... Real bad sulfer smell and it was releasing it into the water. In a 15 gal tank I found only 1 worm in the SB, to me that was a sign that the SB was nasty.

well I did it... got an Oceanic 70RR.

Went ahead and used some of the old sand. I had quite a bit in the 65. The trim on the oceanic is smaller so all that sand would not have looked right. It is 3-4 inches deep.

Do you see any dark areas in the SB in your tank now?

Nope, sand looks nice a clean.

Amazing to see what was actually in the sand. Stuff I never see otherwise. It did not smell coming out but it did have a smelly spot when I put it back in.

70gal rr and sump here I come!

-Eric

Back
Top Bottom