1 week after water changing lots of ammonia - poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cato

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Dear all,

1 week ago complete water change. Washing of stones, filter and inserts because ammonia level very high. Today again high spike in Ammonia. Removing of fish, then moving around the stones. See the water. again full of poop. So today again all water out, washing of stones. Have a 54L tank.

Espeically Goldfish come on top to breath. Despite airstone.

Question: How is possible that 1 week after changing of water, the amount of poop is this much high with a few fish? And spike in Ammonia (ca. 6.0)?

Please see the result now after water change... and let me know if you have any suggestion.

Enclosed: 1.) Picture when fish out and stones moved around. 2.) after water change 2.) Test performed after water change, 3.) Pictures of which fish I have. I am using Water conditioner according to the manual. Put a little more of it after the test as there was still Chlorine from the tap water. Using also mineral salt. Putting weekly Stress enzyme+ and clear water.. from APL.

Thank you all so much. :fish1::fish1::fish1:

Attachments

• IMG_5743.jpg
    IMG_5743.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5736.jpg
    IMG_5736.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5740.jpg
    IMG_5740.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5741.jpg
    IMG_5741.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 31
Im not sure i understand what you are having issues with. Can you clarify some things and answer some simple questions please.

Before responding to this though, as a matter of urgency change 50% of the water.

You are seeing ammonia in your water test, and as a result changed all the water, cleaned everything including the filter. Is that correct?

You are seeing 6ppm ammonia. Is that correct?

You dont understand how the ammonia is so high a week after all the cleaning. Is that correct?

How long have you had the tank and how long have you had the fish?

What fish do you have and how many of each kinds?

Do you understand what the nitrogen cycle is and how to cycle a tank? If yes, how did you cycle the tank?

Aiken is correct on his advice. I would only add that goldfish are notoriously big poop machines. It’s one of many reasons I won’t put them in my 20 gallon tank outside of it not being big enough I don’t want the headache of all that poop.

Aiken is correct on his advice. I would only add that goldfish are notoriously big poop machines. It’s one of many reasons I won’t put them in my 20 gallon tank outside of it not being big enough I don’t want the headache of all that poop.
+1 to this. I just wanted to get everything clear in my head on whats going on before adding that goldfish will get way too big for a 57 litre tank.

Back
Top Bottom