10 Gallon Brackish-Starter advice? Also ROPEFISH advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FightingChance

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Fish Friends! I am looking to convert an empty "had been" community 10 gallon tank (so the water is cycled) into a brackish tank.
FIRST QUESTION: Plants? I've been told that there are a few plants that can survive low amounts of salt. What are they and what would you recommend I keep the salinity at? Should I acclimate them by planting them first and then adding the salt?
SECOND QUESTION: What kind of fish are appropriate for brackish? I have a 3 inch Shark Catfish (I know they should be kept in pairs or 3's. I'm on the look for friends if anyone has any!) that needs to be moved into brackish, but what other tank mates would be appropriate? I have a 40 gallon long laying around I wouldn't mind converting into brackish, but I'd like to get used to the 10 gallon first.
THIRD QUESTION: ROPEFISH! I recently went to an aquatic store and came across an injured "ropefish". They had put puffers with him and they had gnawed him pretty good. I asked the woman about him and she said I could take him if I thought I could make his life better, but was informed he was a brackish fish. I did some research and cannot find any ropefish that look like him, nor anywhere that says they are actually a brackish fish, but that they can tolerate it if need be. I was just wondering if I'm missing something. He is about 6" long, about 1" in width (looks twice as fat and stubbier than the rope/reed fish I see on google) with short stocky fins on his back and a mouth that opens upwards instead of towards the floor. ???

THANK YOU!

As far as the ropefish, if it is shorter and fater, it is likely a Bichir (a cousin to the rope). Ropefish are not brackish water, require a tank much larger than a 10 gallon, and thrive better with other ropefish. It sounds like the people at your lfs need a little more training/education.

Not sure what you refer to as shark catfish, but most sharks need way more than a ten gallon. Anubias and java fern are pretty good in brackish I think.

I found out the "ropefish" is a prehistoric dragon goby! I have him set up in a 10 gallon now, but am cycling a 60 gallon brackish as we speak. I hear they can grow up to 2 feet! He's at 1.010 SG and has a sand substrate. When I say shark cat fish, I mean a columbian cat fish or a black finned catfish

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ropefish are freshwater. They can tolerate some salinity, but not true brackish water.
They are amazing fish, I have had mine for a couple years. They require a tank of, at least, 40 gallons.

I found out the "ropefish" is a prehistoric dragon goby! I have him set up in a 10 gallon now, but am cycling a 60 gallon brackish as we speak. I hear they can grow up to 2 feet! He's at 1.010 SG and has a sand substrate. When I say shark cat fish, I mean a columbian cat fish or a black finned catfish

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Colombians would be a tight fit... But it can still work. If they get too big, you could trade them at your lfs for new fish/supplies, or store credit.

Back
Top Bottom