10 gallon cycle log (& questions galore)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vol4Ever

Aquarium Advice Activist
Started with a WalMart 10 gallon kit and a bottle of Nutrafin Cycle a few weeks ago. Then I found this site and a good LFS (thank goodness!!!). After seeing the light, I emptied the tank water and completely started over using eco's awesome cycling guide. Initial 4 ppm ammonia dosing was one week ago today, Aug 10. I was starting to get antsy with no changes, but this morning . . . . . . .

As my Dad used to say when I was little "ALRIGHT! MIGHTY FINE!" Since the ammonia was still sitting at 4, I didn't test for anything else Monday. Maybe that was a mistake. Anyway, I did the full barrage of tests this morning, and I'm seeing some activity. Here are all the results:

pH = 7.8
Ammonia = 4.0
Nitrites = 1.0
Nitrates = 5.0

Seemed weird that I'm seeing nitrites and nitrates with no noticeable ammonia change yet, but I guess that will come with time. I did add some flake food ground into powder yesterday to help speed things along. I started several threads during the wait, but now learning I probably should just do a master cycle log like others, and keep my questions contained there. In that spirit, I'm going to attempt to move all my various conversations into here.

Here is my anticipated stocking when the time finally gets here (won't all be added at once):

5-6 Neon Tetras
2 Platys - - or other orange recommendations to feed my UT Vols addiction ;)
2 Guppies
2-3 Snails
Shrimp "maids" - - still researching this part; open to suggestions on qty & type

Thanks for all the help and encouragement. I'd probably already have dead fishies if I hadn't done the do-over!:thanks:

The API one (again . . . . a pure gem found after getting on this forum!) Was using strips before that.

Most of my questions were completely answered in other threads, but there were a couple of filter ones hanging out there. Here's a photo of the HOB AquaTech 5-15 that came with the initial kit:
biofilter.jpg

The white flossy filter is the biofilter that is not supposed to ever be changed. I cut the black plastic housing off of the other blue filter & got rid of all the charcoal. I plan to leave this in place until it is falling apart. My plan is to add another layer of blue filter material in the bottom of the HOB, and then put a Purigen baggie on top of that for odor control. I like the Purigen product since it changes color when it needs to be re-charged. Not going to do that step until everything is 100% cycled, though. Here were my open questions:

1 - Is the white filter in the pic adequate as a good, long term biofilter? Not sure how fine that mesh is recommended to be.

2 - I've also looked at completely changing out to either the equivalent Aqua Clear or Fluval HOB model. Those look to be MUCH better systems, that offer more levels of filtration. I also like that they are clear housings so you can easily see the level of clean/dirty for maintenance purposes. I had asked for some review links and/or recommendations between the 2 models. Leaning towards the Fluval myself, IF I do anything at all. Maybe the AquaTech is sufficient since this is such a small tank.

You could use both filters. Since your tank is showing some signs of the cycle progressing I wouldn't get rid of the media you have in there now. You could keep yours and purchase either the AquaClear or Fluval to work alongside. I have an AquaClear HOB and internal Fluval U2 and I like them both.

As for your stocking (and I'm not an expert by any means), I think the neons might be too active for a 10 gal. They require a lot of swimming room. Plus your stocking list is overstocked for a 10 gal. Also to reduce aggression between the Platys and Guppies, recommended stocking for each of those is 1 Male to 2 Females, so you'd need at least 3 of each, which again would be overstocking. Just my opinion though. :)

I figured I was right on the edge with my plan, but I didn't think it was necessarily overstocked. What if I deleted 1 each platy & neon? That would leave:

5 neons
1 platy (male or female?)
2 guppies (both male)
TBA snails & shrimp

Here are my generic community desires:

1 - COLORFUL (especially orange . . . . . but not every fish)
2 - Not all of 1 fish type; a few different breeds
3 - Some selection of 1 small schooling fish
4 - Guppies are a must as I just think they are cool

I thought my initial selection was headed in the right direction for the given criteria, but I am absolutely open to suggestions! Also, I thought the aggression problems with guppies and platys occurred when you had members of both sexes present. In other words, would 2 male guppies be an issue if there weren't any females in the tank at all?

Ok maybe not overly overstocked, you're right, probably on the edge. :)

Like I said I'm not a stocking expert by any means, so maybe someone else with more knowledge should chime in before I say something really wrong. lol Good luck with your tank. And I agree, guppies are cool (I especially like the king cobras).

Ammonia still at 4 today. :( Didn't bother to test anything else. I'm hoping it drops some before tomorrow afternoon so I can re-dose to 4, and then let it continue to do magic over the weekend (it's in my office).

I wish patience was one of my virtues.

Stopped by big box fish store and poked around. Would it help to replace the neons with either rasboras or glolite tetras?

Good luck with you'd tank :) as for guppies... When I kept them before ( I had tropicals over 20 years now have all cichlid tanks) I tried to keep one male to 3 or 4 female ( kinda like cichlids lol). The males are constant lil buggrs and tend to wear out a single female. Also Females can continue to have babies for several months without a male in the tank :) good luck with your cycle!!! Patience!!!! It is worth it in the long run.

Also, when getting a filter, get one that is rec. For a tank larger. On my 1O g hospital tank I had a penguin Rated for 5o gal.

Bl80 said:
as for guppies... When I kept them before ( I had tropicals over 20 years now have all cichlid tanks) I tried to keep one male to 3 or 4 female

I was planning 2 male guppies. Is that ok IYO?

I don't see why not. I have had just males in the past. But what works for one may not for others. It would prob depend on what else you went with as well.

End of day - Friday 8/19

Ammonia STILL reading 4 ppm 10 days after initial dosing. Hopefully something will have changed by the time I get back in the office Monday morning. Still seems odd to me that ammonia is the same even though nitrites and nitrates are showing.

Oh well, maybe next week . . . .

Having nitrate and nitrite readings on day 10 really puts you ahead of the game, usually nitrites don't show up until later. So the fact that ammonia isn't dropping 10 days in (which can take up to 2-3 weeks for the first drop), I'd say you're still OK. Maybe next week you'll see some lighter green!

The nutrafin cycle product could have something to do with the early nitrite/nitrate readings. I know you emptied it out but just like naturally occurring bacteria, it anchors into biofilm. Either way sounds like you are on the right track, still a few weeks to go unless you plan on adding seeded media or a bacteria booster. Best of luck!

Good idea on the nutrafin. Maybe that stuff does something after all, when used in conjunction with the "proper" methods. Too bad I threw the rest of it in the trash. :)

Ok. Today's question of the day deals with lighting. Stock incandescent bulbs have always caused my small tanks to get too hot. They end up overpowering the heater. First thing I did with this new tank was to swap to CFL bulbs which are doing great from a heat standpoint. However, they don't make the tank seem very bright. Is their a rule of thumb of lighting watts per water gallon or anything like that? I want a BRIGHT tank, but nothing that would be too extreme for the fish. Are they light sensitive?? No live plants, by the way, so that's not a concern.

8/22/2011 log

pH = 7.6
Amm = 4.0 (still!)
Nitrite = 5.0
Nitrate = 10.0

Is it time for a PWC yet, or do I need to let the Nitrates climb a little higher first?

Vol4Ever said:
Here is my anticipated stocking when the time finally gets here (won't all be added at once):

5-6 Neon Tetras
2 Platys - - or other orange recommendations to feed my UT Vols addiction ;)
2 Guppies
2-3 Snails
Shrimp "maids" - - still researching this part; open to suggestions on qty & type
In my opinion that would be overstocked. I think just the neon tetras would be close to fully stocked.

Back
Top Bottom