10 gallon-fish recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidkm7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm trying to start a 10 gallon tank and would prefer at least two different types of fish, but I know that the quantity is limited due to the tank size. Any recommendations on resilient fish for starting a tank, and what fish would go well with those to be added later on? As I posted in another thread, I tried 2 neon tetra, but I think they died from stress. (which I now know are schooling fish) Thanks for the help! :)

Well there are a ton of fish and inverts out there that would be good for your tank! Besides just two types would you want individual fish or schooling? One of each? Certain color?

Honestly there are hundreds of fish that would work in a 10g:)

Sorry I'm so new at this, I don't even know my options. :) Ideally I'd like to school a few and then add a pair, if my tank can handle it.

Sorry I'm so new at this, I don't even know my options. :) Ideally I'd like to school a few and then add a pair, if my tank can handle it.

Well for a school I would do nano fish like ember tetras, glowlight tetras, harlequin rasboras, CPDs (if you're willing to spend a bit more and can find them), chili rasboras.

For a "pair" I'm guessing you mean something like a centerpiece fish. A dwarf gourami would be good, as would a few male guppies or a platy.

If you're willing to not have a school I'd suggest endlers (males only) because they're super colorful, active, and you could get 9-10 of them and be fine, IME.

I also really like the idea of an electric purple and green tetra. Either that pair or two male guppies. One of those two options and maybe a few smaller fish would be cool, but would that be too much for a 10 gal tank? For the smaller fish I'm not too particular; I just want to find a few that could start a tank and are a bit more resilient than the neon tetra that probably died from stress.

I also really like the idea of an electric purple and green tetra. Either that pair or two male guppies. One of those two options and maybe a few smaller fish would be cool, but would that be too much for a 10 gal tank? For the smaller fish I'm not too particular; I just want to find a few that could start a tank and are a bit more resilient than the neon tetra that probably died from stress.

Okay, it took me forever to figure out what an electric purple/green tetra was. Are they this:
thumbs_glofish-galactic-purple-tetra_2-copy.jpg

Because those get pretty big, and to be honest I wouldn't put those in a 10g aquarium, they just get too big and with other fish too much--sorry. I wish I could give better news. And tetras are schooling fish which means that they live the best when they are with 6+, which might lead to why your neons were stressed.

If you really like the bright neon colors I would suggest:
x7-8 Endler's Livebearers
Endlers2.jpg

x1 Dwarf Gourami
dwarf_gour_male_100721a6_w0480.jpg

That would make a very round out aquarium, and very colorful as well! You could also look into freshwater shrimp that come in loads of different colors from red to yellow to blue to orange to red and clear stripes and the list goes on!

+1 for aqadvisor.com it is wonderful and so easy and useful! I like the plain zebra danios (black and white striped schooling fish) and platys would also do well (only one sex or a 1:2 ratio of males:females) they come in very bright colors and are great beginner fish.

You could do a school of CPD's and a nice male betta. Or maybe even a small betta sorority. :)

If you like two types of fish you could do this:

- 8 CPDs
- 8 chili rasboras OR 6 ember tetras
- 1 honey gourami

Keep in mind that the CPDs are fairly shy, so if possible a tank with only them would be best.

Also, the electric purple or green tetras are probably just a genetic variation of white skirt tetras, which need at least a 20.

I also think that purple pencilfish might be an option?

And no betta sororities or zebra danios in a 10 gallon! :nono:

Technically you could, but it would have to be very well monitored and HEAVILY planted/decorated. It is should really be left for people with a lot of experience with larger sororities. The 10g doesn't allow much space for the bettas to escape from one another when there are fights among them.

TBH you really can't. Even in a big tank it rarely works. Like AquaKai said, they need room to escape each other. For some reason people often think that females are not aggressive at all but that really isn't true. They are just a less aggressive than males, but still aggressive to their own kind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom