10 Gallon Saltwater Tank Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trhea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So im thinking about doing a 10 gal half-moon saltwater tank I want to know if yall could give me any advice you have?

is this your first tank? starting that small may be challenging. Also what are your stocking plans? you cannot keep many fish in that tank, 2 at most.

Yea I'm not sure what I should put in it or if I should just go for a bigger tank

I would go for a bigger tank just because it's easier for a first tank and you will have more fish options. Lots of people have started off on nanos though and have had great success, all depends how dedicated and patient you are :). The 10 gal half moon does look like a very neat tank, the glass on it will be more difficult to clean however. Do you know about live rock, cycling, water changes, ect? Are you planning any corals for this tank? Just trying to figure out how much you know about saltwater so adequate advice can be given :)

Yea I know about cycling and all that I wasn't planning on doing any corals but actually the more I think about it I'm leaning towards getting like a 20 gal to start off since this is my first saltwater tank

I started off with a 3 gallon and it turned out great. All you really need to start off is rocks, sand, heater and HOB filter. Let that cycle while you get a light source. I would go with the coralife T-5 mini from Foster and Smith. $60 I believe. And probably a korila nano powerhead.

Refractometer is something you should get for a tank this small as well. For livestock you can go small species gobies. They are great little fishes. Pretty much all you really need to get started. I would set up an auto top off using a float switch (cheapest solution). Search around or I can try to send some pics of mine. Top offs are a real pain in a small tank, but using the auto top off is great.

I started off with a 3 gallon and it turned out great. All you really need to start off is rocks, sand, heater and HOB filter. Let that cycle while you get a light source. I would go with the coralife T-5 mini from Foster and Smith. $60 I believe. And probably a korila nano powerhead.

Refractometer is something you should get for a tank this small as well. For livestock you can go small species gobies. They are great little fishes. Pretty much all you really need to get started. I would set up an auto top off using a float switch (cheapest solution). Search around or I can try to send some pics of mine. Top offs are a real pain in a small tank, but using the auto top off is great.

Great advice only thing I can add is go slow and be patient. When deciding on the size of tank research the type of fish you want to put in and decide which suits your needs.

Get a good liquid test kit.

Back
Top Bottom