10 gallon shrimp tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DjPotter79

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is what I've done so far.

image-1587673203.jpg

image-690535360.jpg

I know that one rock is a little to big but I love it so it had to go in LOL.
My next step is getting some java fern and some moss and then time for the shrimp.
I would also like to get some fish as well. I'm thinking of getting pearl danios and some pigmy Cory's but I'm not sure how many of each fish I could put in there so please give me your input on that and thanks;-)

I think you should get rid of the big rock but thats my opinion :)
And if your gonna to a shrimp tank skip the fish and just get two species of shrimp :)

What type of shrimp are you looking at? +1 on skipping on the Danios but get the pygmy cory's there great in my shrimp tank they don't hurt my baby shrimp just bump into them :)

Tetra1990 said:
Looks neat. IMO, skip the danios, way too active for a 10 gallon. Not real sure on the pigmy cores.

You must have CPDs confused with normal Danios...haha they aren't overly active.

DjPotter79 said:
This is what I've done so far.

I know that one rock is a little to big but I love it so it had to go in LOL.
My next step is getting some java fern and some moss and then time for the shrimp.
I would also like to get some fish as well. I'm thinking of getting pearl danios and some pigmy Cory's but I'm not sure how many of each fish I could put in there so please give me your input on that and thanks;-)

I would definetly remove the big rock. Then try to stack the remaining ones to make a cave or rock tumble.

Tetra1990 said:
Aren't all danios crazy and full of caffeine?

Nope! Celestial Pearl Danios are actually pretty tame and shy! They really enjoy planted tanks, they feel much safer there.

I'm getting RCS and keeping CPD and I like that rock to much so it's staying but keep throwing ur ideas at me please cause I would love to hear them.

Love the big rock too! It will look awesome if you add some tall thin Vals or Ludwigia Reptens in the back and maybe a Chain sword to the side and a mini/nano size plant, maybe even a clump of Micro Sword in front of it, just leave enough space around the rock and glass for a full grown Cory to scoot by.

When you get all of the Java Fern and Java Moss in there it will be even better!

Maybe start keeping your eyes open for the perfect thin and twisty driftwood.

After looking at it again, I would recommend putting the largest rock about 1/4-1/3 from the left side near the intake pipe so the height of the previously recommended plants would obscure the intake. Then put some graduated sized rocks towards the center.

Or...Think of/picture in your mind how they would fall off from a real cliff/natural rock out cropping...try placing them like that, mini nature, just an idea! lol :popcorn: I will keep watching your progress.

Make it how you love it! You have to see it everyday. ;)

Is there a pre-filter sponge on your intake tube?

Are you cycling the tank now?

Autumnsky said:
Love the big rock too! It will look awesome if you add some tall thin Vals or Ludwigia Reptens in the back and maybe a Chain sword to the side and a mini/nano size plant, maybe even a clump of Micro Sword in front of it, just leave enough space around the rock and glass for a full grown Cory to scoot by.

When you get all of the Java Fern and Java Moss in there it will be even better!

Maybe start keeping your eyes open for the perfect thin and twisty driftwood.

After looking at it again, I would recommend putting the largest rock about 1/4-1/3 from the left side near the intake pipe so the height of the previously recommended plants would obscure the intake. Then put some graduated sized rocks towards the center.

Or...Think of/picture in your mind how they would fall off from a real cliff/natural rock out cropping...try placing them like that, mini nature, just an idea! lol :popcorn: I will keep watching your progress.

Make it how you love it! You have to see it everyday. ;)

Is there a pre-filter sponge on your intake tube?

Are you cycling the tank now?

Thanks for your wonderful ideas I appreciate it and will look in to those other plants as well. I still have to get a sponge for the filter and I'm cycling the tank now and I hope it hurries up lol. Anything else you want to recommend please let me know

Tetra1990 said:
Don't rush the cycle process, I know it can seem like an eternity. Good things happen to those who wait.

Lol I know... I know... I rather wait and have it perfect then not but I still can't wait;-)

IMO Probably the most important tip you could give to someone setting up a shrimp tank is to keep the parameters stable. Even small nitrate and ammonia spikes can be dangerous. Also, getting a feeding dish seems like a great idea. Any uneaten food you can easily take out and it doesnt get into the substrate/plants/moss ect.

tropicalmackdaddy said:
IMO Probably the most important tip you could give to someone setting up a shrimp tank is to keep the parameters stable. Even small nitrate and ammonia spikes can be dangerous. Also, getting a feeding dish seems like a great idea. Any uneaten food you can easily take out and it doesnt get into the substrate/plants/moss ect.

I just went out and got the API master test kit so what should my parameters be so I know what I'm looking for and thanks for the info

DjPotter79 said:
I just went out and got the API master test kit so what should my parameters be so I know what I'm looking for and thanks for the info

The fully cycled tests ammonia: 0 nitrite: 0 and nitrate between 5-20 ph: watever except the extremes if your getting cherry shrimp they are like the super soldiers of shrimp
And temp shouldnt exceed 82 but i think they can tolerate up to like 84-86 but they wont breed. Thats all i can think of :)
Also, go to planetinverts.com and they got every piece of info you need

tropicalmackdaddy said:
The fully cycled tests ammonia: 0 nitrite: 0 and nitrate between 5-20 ph: watever except the extremes if your getting cherry shrimp they are like the super soldiers of shrimp
And temp shouldnt exceed 82 but i think they can tolerate up to like 84-86 but they wont breed. Thats all i can think of :)

Thank you I appreciate the info

tropicalmackdaddy said:

Here's an update on my shrimp tank.
8 chili rasboras
1 guppy
A pair of endlers
12 RCS
And a bunch of snails

image-3791001817.jpg

image-1830542599.jpg

image-1511127682.jpg

image-1698163108.jpg

Back