10 gallon tank, new to having fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone! I found this forum by finding this wonderful thread here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
While looking up information on fishless cycling, and we are on Day 6 of our fishless cycle.

We have a 10 gallon tank that we got for our betta fish, Bubbles. We were not very good with our water changes just one time, and after that, he developed some mild fin rot, and the ammonia wouldn't seem to go back to 0, so we treated him with some salt in the small 2g tank we bought when we first got him. Then a couple weeks after that, we waited a couple days too long to do a water change again, and the ammonia was too high again :( So we treated him again with salt, this time a higher amount, as he had a large hole in his dorsal fin, and his tail looked pretty ripped :( He is now done with that treatment and is getting his water changed every other day. Other than the fin damage though, he is swimming around and is his curious, lively, cute little self :D

He absolutely loved his 10g tank and we can't wait to get him back in there!

Now for my actual question:

We want to get some pygmy cory-dora catfish, 4-5 of them, to live in the tank with Bubbles. We really like catfish, and we actually changed over to sand from gravel so that we could have catfish, after finding out that gravel is so bad for their little mouth feelers and everything.

Also we changed to sand after doing a half-hearted fishless cycle in which I put crushed fish flakes in every day. Messy and disgusting. So we cleaned out the gravel, rinsed all the stuff in the tank, and started over, with sand. It was a complete waste of time before, but, now we are doing it right :)

Anyway, so onto the core of the ACTUAL question this time, lol. Would it be better to put our betta into the tank first for a week or two after completing the fishless cycle, and then add the catfish? Or should we add the catfish first, and put our betta fish back in after a few days or so? We want to get Bubbles used to the idea that he is not the only fish in the tank, and hubby thought that perhaps if we had him in there first, when we put the catfish in, he wouldn't like that, so we thought that putting the catfish in first may be better idea :) I wanted to post here and see what you all have to say!

We definitely want to get him back into his tank asap because he doesn't like the small space and he used all of the space in the tank and just had so much fun in there. At least his little log that we bought for him before quarantining him fits in the little 2g tank, and he uses that a lot. He is so fun to watch :)

Thanks everyone and sorry if I put in too much information.

I recommend that you keep the betta and cories separate for at least a month as a quarantine procedure. Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you :) I don't really have a quarantine tank, except the 2gallon my betta is currently in, but it would not work to put 4-5 cories in there, but, I could keep the Betta in the small tank while the cories are in the big tank for a bit.

What about in what order to add them in though, any thoughts on that? Cories first, betta first? Does it matter?

I would do just that. Keep cories in the larger tank and observe them for a month or so before adding your betta. Just a precaution to make sure the cories are healthy. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

We ended up putting them into a new 5g that we bought just because they're so tiny, it'll be easier to keep an eye on them. They won't be in there more than a couple weeks!

Then, when they're ready to go into the 10g, we'll take out betta out, add the catfishes, give them at least a half hour or so, then put the betta back in.
:)

Back
Top Bottom