1000 gph to much??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ecancienne1983

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just switched my power head from 230 gph to circulation mode which is now 1000 gph is that to much flow for a 55 gal tank ?? No corals yet just fish but corals and anenomes in a few mths

That just seems like crazy flow bc with the 1000 gph circulation pump the fish are getting blown around everywhere lol

Have you ever swam in the ocean? Gone snorkeling? diving? The current is insane. These fish are adapted to live in that type of environment. You want two powerheads to create random flow. The maxi jets just kinda put out very directional flow. I'd get a koralia 650 and stick it on the other side.

Turnover is the amount of water that gets moved in an hour. Reef you will want 30-60 times your tank water volume. For your 55 gallon tank that means 1650-3300 total gph from all pumps in your tank.

That being said, a single 1000 gph is too much from a single source for your size tank. You need to split it out between 2-3 powerheads.

Back
Top Bottom