10g stocking advice...green neons and dainty corys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenneons

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is it possible to responsibly keep dainty corys (Corydoras habrosus) in a 10 gallon tank that already has 9 green neons (Paracheirodon simulans) and a bunch of little snails?

For the corys, some sources have said minimum 4 but other have said minimum 6. But which is it 4 or 6? Would that make our tank overstocked?

DETAILS on the tank: We have a 10 gallon, low light, low tech, moderately (I think) planted tank which is about 3 months old. It currently has a Tetra whisper PF10 filter (90GPH) with a pre-filter sponge cover. prior to the addition of more fish, I am also going to be adding a small sponge filter. It has a 50W heater which keeps the tank around 77F. NitrAtes never seem to go above ~5ppm, KH = 89.5 ppm and GH=~196 ppm

Hmmm though one, 9 tetra's is quite stocked I guess. But then again, I used to run double filters in my old ten gallon to keep the water quality pristine. This way it should work, 5-6 is the bare minimum tho! They start shoaling at ~10.

If you want to be sure, check aqadvisor.com and fill in the parameters.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

AqAdvisor says

9 green neons = 59% stocking level

9 green neons and 5 dainty corys = 85% stocking level

9 green neons and 6 dainty corys = 89% stocking level

...I guess I'm just a little skeptical of these numbers since I don't understand how they were calculated or even what stocking level really means.

Ah well there you have it :) this is a very good website, I've been using it for years!

Be sure to put them into 'adult size' and not the default 'juvenile size'... But with fish this small it shouldn't really matter!

Go for it!

Hmmm though one, 9 tetra's is quite stocked I guess. But then again, I used to run double filters in my old ten gallon to keep the water quality pristine. This way it should work, 5-6 is the bare minimum tho! They start shoaling at ~10.

If you want to be sure, check aqadvisor.com and fill in the parameters.

The only problem is that running extra filters isn't going to help keep the water clean. It's all about the water changes keeping the nitrates down.

9 green neons = 59% stocking level

9 green neons and 5 dainty corys = 85% stocking level

9 green neons and 6 dainty corys = 89% stocking level

...I guess I'm just a little skeptical of these numbers since I don't understand how they were calculated or even what stocking level really means.

The numbers are based on a lot of things. Bio load and size being the primary 2. That number of fish will do just fine in a 10g

Yeah you're right, I'm always assuming that people to their weekly PWC's... Although this can be quite contradictory in reality.

Corydoras hasbrosus is one of the few cories that dont mind being in small groups of 3-4

Have no fear, we do weekly 25% water changes so we can water our house plants.

Thanks to all for the input

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom